Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-02, 12:20 PM   #1
Genovese

Default Alternate/Fallback drivers?

First, a big thanks to all that have offered their time and help here regarding the 3123 drivers.

I'm running RH 8.0 with a GeForce3 Ti200. I have tried everything described in the install threads at the top of the board, multiple times, wih clean installs between attempts, and can't resolve the

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

problem.

I have given up for now, and will keep reading until someone more knowledgeable than I comes up with something new, or new drivers are released.

In the meantime, I can't run X -- does anyone know if there are other drivers available that will at least allow a Ti200 to run in 8.0, even at reduced capability?

Is it possible to damage the card by trying drivers/libs for older cards?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Genovese; 12-10-02 at 12:26 PM.
Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 02:53 PM   #2
bwkaz

There have been a couple of support-type threads recently about unexplained errors like yours. One good idea is to check dmesg's output for errors that seem related to this, and the other is to check /var/log/messages (near the bottom) for the same thing.

Also, make sure you have an appropriate alias in /etc/modules.conf (if X still doesn't work when you manually /sbin/modprobe NVdriver as root before you start it, then this probably isn't the problem).

If the error that I'm thinking of is there, then it will tell you how to fix it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 11:43 AM   #3
Genovese

thanks for your suggestion bwkaz -

I tried it again with a fresh install (having an unsolved problem was just killing me!) - I got it to work using the tar's -- I don't know what I did differently than the last time I tried it, but evidentally something worked

I also get the greyed-out 3D accel. option, but everything seems to be running fine....
Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote