Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-02, 04:18 PM   #1
Fishbulb

Default Configuring the NVidia Drivers

I have RH Linux 8.0 with the new 18.8.0 or whatever kernel and a Geforce3...just installed the 3123 drivers I had on my hd and came on here and saw new drivers released today...doh!

Well anyway the 3123 installation went fine, I see the nvidia logo on startup, and nv_check says everything looks great. Reading over the README for the drivers it talks about a bunch of configuration options like FSAA, but doesn't tell where to set the options. Forgive my n00b question but where do I go to edit these variables? XF86Config? modules.conf?

Any good configuration guides on the net anywhere?

Thanks!
Fishbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 04:34 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

You generally set them with environment variables. Assuming you're using bash, you would open an xterm, type

'export __GL_FSAA_MODE=X' (where X is the level you want)

and then start the game from that xterm.

--andy
Old 12-11-02, 08:35 PM   #3
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

One more thing you should note is that doing it through xterm will not effect FSAA globally. Only apps started from that xterm will use FSAA. Remember that Linux will let you use multiple environments, which in this case is sort of a bad thing. If you want FSAA for all programs started using a bash shell, put the line Andy stated above in a file called .bashrc (In your home directory).

Last edited by Soul-Crusher; 12-11-02 at 08:40 PM.
Soul-Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 09:24 PM   #4
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Yes, very true. Thanks for mentioning that.

--andy
Old 12-11-02, 10:43 PM   #5
Daedalus

Send a message via ICQ to Daedalus Send a message via AIM to Daedalus

Unless a game uses a script to start the game (like quake 3) because it is creating a new shell (usually sh) then you'd have to add the "export" line to the script itself
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 01:48 AM   #6
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
Unless a game uses a script to start the game (like quake 3) because it is creating a new shell (usually sh) then you'd have to add the "export" line to the script itself
Hey, John! I was wondering when you'd show up here. Good point about Quake. It will use FSAA if you start it from a bash shell using the command Andy posted. If you want it to use the command all the time even if you don't start it from a shell that exports it you must edit /path/to/quake3/quake3 (Not quake3.x86) and, as you said, add the file to that script. It would then look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Needed to make symlinks/shortcuts work.
# Run Quake III with some default arguments

export __GL_FSAA_MODE=5
cd "/usr/local/games/quake3"
./quake3.x86 $*
exit $?