Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-04, 09:49 PM   #265
NightFire
Bu Zi You, Wo Ning Si

Send a message via MSN to NightFire
Default Re: HL2 fails to use partial precision calls despite no quality loss - major tweak here!

Hmmm...interesting. I guess a lot of FX users are getting pretty happy.

Seems like a dirty trick by Valve, or maybe they just had a quick lapse of judgement.

SteelSoft Incorporated
Specs: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @2.5GHz/512 MB PC2700 RAM/80 GB Western Digital Caviar/15 GB Maxtor/Diamond Viper X1950XT 256MB/Dell 1907FP 19" LCD Monitor/ASRock 939Dual SATA-2/1.44 MB Floppy/40x-12x-48x CD-RW/8x DVD-ROM
NightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 10:17 PM   #266
Clay

Default Re: HL2 fails to use partial precision calls despite no quality loss - major tweak he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salieri
'Tis true, I did have my own immature response to your and MUYA's flame. Considering that the PA comic (linked, not posted) did illustrate my point about your simplistic arguments. Which were something along the lines of "Too much information is bad" and "He must work at Valve or ATI since he doesn't agree with our beliefs." So your rant, in short, to me was no better than fandom. You had no point other than to flame, not even any counter-argument. If you are going to flame, do it right.

As for my original text, it wasn't so much a "holier than thou" attitude, but more or less "you do the same things" because people could construe that particular thread of your a waste and off-topic. So the knife might cut both ways, Clay. That's all I was saying there. If anything was "holier than thou," it is the issue that you and MUYA can't flame properly. Instead you both said essentially what the respondent in the PA comic said.
Blah blah, you don't get it. I simply won't sit idly by while ATI drones try to use this forum as their soapbox unchallenged. If you'd been upfront then our members could decide for themselves with how many grains of salt to take your rapid influx of posts. To suggest that you are "Joe User" won't fly here. That's all there is to it. I used simplistic arguments becuase this is a very simple concept to grasp, no reason to complicate it or cloud it with shouts of "Now we see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help, I'm being suppressed!". Gimme a break.

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 05:46 PM   #267
kev13dd

Default Re: HL2 fails to use partial precision calls despite no quality loss - major tweak here!

*Bump*

Oops! Pardon me

As an FX user I'd love to hear what type of progress is being made with this, I hate having it lag so much for how much I paid for the card and the game

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 10:09 PM   #268
spacey

so is there no concern about this whole issue for as a 6600 GT card owner?
HD: 2x Seagate 7200.7 80GB SATA
Video: XFX GeForce 6600 GT with fanmate2 mod
Optical: Pioneer DVR-108
Display: 2x Samsung 173T DVI
spacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 10:17 PM   #269
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I haven't got involved!
It's all about the unfortunate FX owner, being deprived of extra sugar sprinkly bits
by a fiendish big software firm, history repeats again and again!
I would just be glad someone actually bothered to fix the issue, who cares whether it's Valve or not, they made the thing ....you bought it the way it was made, anything extra in this life is a bonus.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 10:18 PM   #270
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

simply put... could it not be that the number of people with gf FX's who would actually benefit from the PP hints was not sufficient enough for valve to proceed with PP hints throughout?

from the info present the number of FX's that are indeed powerful enough to benefit w/o much of a hit is not that great... generally speaking in this case it is only economically viable for valve to not bother...

that said were it a situation where it is a simple fix as it indeed appears to be than valve has indeed been lazy in not continuing with a solution that would provide adequate IQ/performance to FX users...

which FX users are most likely to see a gain in this situation? only the higher-end ones isn't it? or do the lower end FX's also see similar results?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 10:31 PM   #271
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
from the info present the number of FX's that are indeed powerful enough to benefit w/o much of a hit is not that great...
I don't know about you... but I for one sure can't go out and pop for a $400+ video card, without having my nads handed to me (yes dear). I believe the numbers favor the FX owners on this one... compared to the higher end cards out there.

P-4 3.0c
MSI 865PE Neo2 PLS
2x512mb DDR400
PNY 6800 GT 256
Directx 9.0c
Seagate IV SATA 80gig
Liteon 48x12x48 CD-RW
Win2K Pro/SP4, WinXP Pro/SP1

Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 10:53 PM   #272
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

this has nothing to do with you or FX owners per se...

it is a question of logistics and I am genuinely curious to know the numbers in this case...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-04, 12:10 AM   #273
kev13dd

Default Re: HL2 fails to use partial precision calls despite no quality loss - major tweak he

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey
so is there no concern about this whole issue for as a 6600 GT card owner?
Nope. Don't worry, don't try

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 12:41 AM   #274
Morn

The 6800 runs at full precision at almost the same speed as partial precision, so for 6800 users leave it as it is, you might as well get the full precision. And you'll note that the 6800 series score to within 2% or so the same as the x800 on hl2.
Morn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 08:32 AM   #275
Sorrow
First Person Ownage

Quote:
basically valve made Nvidia cards run in their highest precision mode all the time when they didn't need to, unnecessarily reducing performance. Every other major DX9 game uses partial precision when possible for optimal shader performance with no quality loss
sorry if I sound like a noob, I'm a computer junkie, just I don't know much about the coding side of graphics...soo, do you think EQ2 coders might be making nvidia cards run in highest precision mode and causing such bad performance but not affecting the older generation cards? Sorry if that sounds crazy, but I've resorted to throwing out random theories until they fix the problem
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 12:49 PM   #276
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
It looks like they dumped that if they did it. FX cards, which were the cards in production when they were talking about that path, don't even run in DX9 mode in HL2 unless you trick the program into thinking its an ATI card, they are treated as DX8.1 cards.
They dumpes it when they where finished it, cuz the "MixedMode" for FX cards works just fins in the Beta. Valve just wants to be stingy mofo's by favouring ati.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote