Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-02, 03:46 AM   #1
davidmay

Question Linux newbie asks LCD advice

I am a Windows user who plans to experiment with various distros of Linux. At the moment I'm simply playing around with the CD-based Knoppix.

I'm currently using a CRT but am about to buy an LCD monitor, and would rather not discover down the road that my new monitor can't handle Linux. So I'd like a little advice before I buy.

My present video card is the Vanta LT, which according to the nVidia site is supported by the nVidia Linux Graphics Driver. This card has analog output only. However, the LCD monitor I have my eye on is the Dell UltraSharp 1504FP, which has analog/digital connectivity, because I want to leave open the possibility of upgrading to a digital video card.

My assumption is that Linux has to be configured to suit the monitor as well as the video card. Can anyone tell me if I am likely to get good results (one aspect of which is not frying any hardware) with the 1504FP operating in analog mode through my current Vanta LT card, as well as in digital mode with some suitably -equipped card I may get later?

Any advice on choice of monitor or digital card would be welcome.

Thanks.

David
davidmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 11:27 AM   #2
Genovese

david -

I can't offer anything on monitor selection - but I'm a recent Linux convert running a 18" LCD with a GeForce3 Ti200 - RedHat 8 install recognized it no problem, and after getting the nvidia drivers installed, performance at 1280x1024 is awesome.
Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 12:01 PM   #3
davidmay

Default Linux newbie asks LCD advice

Thanks, Genovese. Does your card/monitor setup run digital or analog?

David
davidmay is offline   Reply With Quote