Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-04, 04:19 PM   #1
junco

Default Damaged my monitor

Thought I should post this here too, as I'm sure people would like to know. Original thread is at Gentoo forums

Well I've always had minor problems with this card and the linux nvidia drivers. It is a BFG 6800 GT OC. Depending on what my xorg.conf looked like, X would either start fine, or lock up on a black screen at which point I had to reboot. Well I changed a few lines in my xorg.conf (mainly just identifer strings and disabling compositing... nothing that should affect how the X server starts at all). Black screen... about to reboot, but then thought maybe it's not locked... I just can't see anything.

So I tried ctrl-alt-delete. A few seconds later I heard the computer startup "Beep!" , but the screen was still black. I turned off the monitor and turned it back on. There's the picture! Except it was all messeed up. Completely not straight, rounded edges, red tint, not as bright... So I let the computer boot to XP and tried to adjust the settings to go back to what they were, which were pretty much factory defaults. I tried resetting everything, degaussing, but I just can't get it back to how it was before. The dimensions are okay now, but everything just isn't as bright. I tried adjusting RGB values, brightness, contrast... nothing looks right. I think it's screwed. I'm going to look into an RMA... but this really pisses me off. It's not the video card either, I tried swapping it out for another.. same messed up monitor stuff.

Mitsu Diamond Pro 930SB owners be warned.
junco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 07:40 PM   #2
vincoof

Send a message via ICQ to vincoof Send a message via AIM to vincoof
Default Re: Nvidia drivers damaged my monitor

I think the title of the topic is a bit misleading.
In no way a graphics card can mess up the monitor. This would mean there is a strong monitor specification failure. I think it was just a coincidence with a monitor malfunction. I've seen it so many times. May I ask how old is your monitor ?

> It's not the video card either, I tried swapping it out for another.. same messed up monitor stuff.

Without changing the graphics card, you can simply open the OSD (the monitor's menu that controls brightness, distortion, etc). OSD's are independant to video card's output, so it should always be fine no matter the graphics card behind (well, in fact there are rare cases where it matters, but mostly it doesn't)
vincoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 07:46 PM   #3
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

Anyone that uses the IgnoreEDID option and uses their own custom modelines on old fashioned monitors can blow them up yes. Any new CRT has some degree of protection that simply just displays an out of sync sign on the screen, thus preventing any damage. Most likely your monitor was already on its way out.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-04, 09:42 PM   #4
junco

I bought the monitor new in February of this year. The manufacture date on back of the monitor says December 2003. I've tried to use the OSD's to adjust the screen... I've gotten the geometry right, but there is always a red tint to things now. Very slight... only really noticeable in full screen command prompt's and things like that, but it is definatley there. The monitor is damaged, there is no question about that. Whether it was a rare coincidence or not I don't know, but with all the trouble I've had with these linux nvidia drivers, I tend to think not. Also, I am not specifying any custom mode lines. No mode lines appear in my xorg.conf.

One thing to note, although my vert and horiz. refresh rates were set correctly according to the monitor's manual, I noticed in Xorg.log that the nvidia driver adjusted them to have a lower bound of 5 kHz/Hz higher than what I specifed. Don't know why exactly. Mitsu is sending me a replacement monitor...
Old 11-13-04, 10:08 PM   #5
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

Still doesnt matter, new monitors will not allow themselves to be run out of spec. They are practically impossible to ruin this way like they were in the old days unless they are a cheap piece of crap.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux

Last edited by Spyke; 11-13-04 at 10:18 PM.
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 06:01 AM   #6
plmzod

Exclamation Re: Damaged my monitor

I had almost exactly the same problem, but on the windows side :

My (old) config :
- MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4800
- Mitsu Diamond Pro 930SB
- Linux RedHat 9, nvidia driver 43.63 (old but it works)
- windows XP, nvidia driver 44.03 (old but it works)

I got this config to work quite well (no overclocking in any way) for
about one year, then I decided to install the new driver v61.77 for
windows. The install went ok but with the new driver, each time
I started the computer the screen was going off, then back on with
very bad effects, like a degaussing but much harder.
This effect could happen :
- at boot time (before or just after windows logo, I don't remember exactly)
- just when the blue login screen appears
- after the connection when the desktop is ready (all icons drawn)
- then every time I click on the nvidia icon in the task bar
- or when I right-click on the desktop to get the screen properties.

After one or two reboots (and 5 or 6 screen "effects") I managed to
uninstall those drivers and get back to the old ones. So now all
seems good, except that the screen has been harmed, it has now
a permanent blue tint. I've tried to restore factory settings, many
degauss, ... it's still blue... I can see it clearly when I boot on linux
in text mode (usually white text on black) it now looks grey on
dark blue.

So recently I installed Fedorca Core 3 with no problem, then wanted
to install the latest nvidia linux driver (6629). The install was ok (with
udev fix though), but now my old bad "effect" seems to reappear on
every system boot. So I suppose I will install the old 4363 driver.

My conclusion is that those drivers (or this card) can really harm
a monitor, or that this monitor has a problem. I've looked in other
forums and all I could find is that nvidia try to detect what is
connected to the card at boot time (monitor or TV, on every
output) and that causes the monitor to react this way.
Unfortunately I've not found any way to turn this off.
plmzod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 02:21 PM   #7
junco

Default Re: Damaged my monitor

Yeah that sounds similar to what has happened to my monitor. Maybe the 930SBs are just generally not good at dealing with these new drivers? I don't know... you should contact Mitsu about an RMA. They agreed to send me a replacement only after about 10 minutes of trying to tech it over the phone. I didn't mention this happned in linux, just in case they "don't support linux", but claimed it happened when XP was booting, like it did in your case. And you can wait until you receive the replacement before shipping your old one back to them, so you aren't computerless for any amount of time.

I also experienced some deguassing like effects in XP when I go to the nvidia display properties, but thought that was probably normal.
Old 11-14-04, 08:49 PM   #8
ToastyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincoof
I think the title of the topic is a bit misleading.
In no way a graphics card can mess up the monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke
Still doesnt matter, new monitors will not allow themselves to be run out of spec. They are practically impossible to ruin this way like they were in the old days unless they are a cheap piece of crap.
Don't be so sure. It's definitely possible for a driver to cause a video card to damage certain monitors, just not under normal circumstances. There would have to be a design flaw or manufacturing defect in the monitor that can cause it to be damaged in certain situations.

This is probably a design flaw in the monitor that Mitsubishi would have to address.
ToastyX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-04, 02:12 AM   #9
jedediah

Default Re: Damaged my monitor

I know this thread is old, but I thought I might chime in in case anyone's still reading this.

I ran into the same problem as plzmod. Luckily my monitor (a viewsonic p95f) wasn't really damaged that I can tell, but it was doing that "rough degauss" thing. I narrowed it down to a power management problem at the MB level. I upped the AGP voltage in my BIOS, got a bigger power supply, and the problem was taken care of.
jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote