Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-04, 05:22 PM   #1
Regression

Default Bizarre nforce2 graphics problems

Strange happenings on a new system i just built using nforce2 integrated graphics... I'd like to know if anybody has seen anything like this. The board in question is an Abit NF7-M.

Upon booting X, there is some corruption on the familiar black and white checkered pattern. It is highly consistent from boot to boot, a few white or black horizontal lines, and a few white rectangular shapes, all near the top of the screen. As if something were consistently writing to the memory supposedly reserved for framebuffer or something. Weeeird.

Glxinfo returns normal, everything's working, no issues in the xorg log, and then if I try to run glxgears, I get similar looking lines and corruption all over the screen, followed by hard lock.

What I've tried so far:
various xorg versions, various nvidia linux graphics driver versions, all possible combinations of agpgart and DRI in kernel, all possible "NvAGP" options in xorg.conf, and all the hardware has been checked and is OK... this includes memory, power supply, and motherboard under windows. Kernel is 2.6.9 straight from kernel.org. This system was HIGHLY unstable when i first built it, but the combination of disabling ACPI, APIC stuff, and preemption has brought it to reasonable stability except when doing accelerated stuff in X, which is where everything goes crazy. To top it all off, the X log shows no errors when it locks.

Knowing the whole shared graphics memory deal, my first instinct was that something was writing all over memory that should have been the exclusive property of the integrated graphics at the time. No idea how to proceed on this notion unless the driver crew feels like helping me out.

Anybody seen anything like this before? Thanks in advance.

-Nicholas Cordle
Regression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 06:29 PM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Bizarre nforce2 graphics problems

Sounds more like a hardware problem.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 09:21 PM   #3
Regression

memory tested out 100% on three different motherboards, this one included. All the integrated components on the motherboard are 100% functional with none of this stuff when I threw winxp on it just to see. So if it's a hardware issue, it's news to me... Reading around i've been made aware of the various major stability issues people have had with nforce2 under 2.6. This is the third such system i've built and deployed linux on and it's the only one to have anything like this. 2.6.10-rc3 changelog claims to have included an APIC workaround of some sort, going to try building that now.

-nc
Old 12-17-04, 10:48 PM   #4
Regression

2.6.10-rc3 with APIC stuff turned on seems to have taken care of the last of the stability issues, but the graphics glitches are still there. any takers?