Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-04, 11:17 AM   #1
Gregoire.Favre

Lightbulb Would NVidia ever add XxMC support in linux ?

Hello,

under linux, the choice if you want to decode animations are VIA cards, because they have XxMC support (for example look at xine). Would NVidia provides us XxMC for our cards ?

It would be a good Christmas gift...

Thank you very much
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 11:32 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Would NVidia ever add XxMC support in linux ?

Huh? Using Xvideo my cpu-usage is in the 10% end, and that's with my cpu running in powersave mode at 800Mhz..
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 11:56 AM   #3
Thunderbird

XvMC is an official X standard developed by some nvidia linux engineers and some xfree86 people. The drivers from nvidia, via and some others support XvMC. In case of via they extended XvMC a bit as their chip was able to do more than others at the time but their XxMC isn't an official X standard and I'm not sure if it is very generic. Think the XvMC standard needs to be extended in a proper way instead of a hack which I think XxMC is.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 02:41 PM   #4
Lithorus

But of all things that nvidia could use their time on, is this really worth it?
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 02:50 PM   #5
Thunderbird

For normal movie playback it doesn't matter that much if you use a fast cpu but in case you use a HDTV then it might help a lot more than for a simple DVD. Assuming the DVD is plain PAL which is 576 lines (576*16/9 for the horizontal resolution ..) and you use 1080p (1080*16/9 for the horizontal resolution) then you have roughly 4 times as much data.. so then it might be very usefull as I think cpu usage would be quite a bit higher without.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 05:20 PM   #6
mavit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoire.Favre
under linux, the choice if you want to decode animations are VIA cards, because they have XxMC support (for example look at xine). Would NVidia provides us XxMC for our cards ?
I think you've got it backwards. It's down to your distributor to do this for you.

NVidia provide an XvMC library. The problem is that everyone's XvMC library is slightly different, so you have to recompile your applications against whichever one you happen to be using. Bad.

libXvMCW is a workaround for this problem. When you compile Xine with xxmc, you're actually compiling against libXvMCW. Then when you start Xine, it goes away and finds out whose XvMC you have and uses that.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=131332
mavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-04, 10:59 AM   #7
Gregoire.Favre

Well, I would like to play HDTV, and I have bought an Nvidia card for that reason (people tokd me xxmc was working with it and in fact it's not...). Even on my amd64@3000 it took almost all CPU with xine, because xine don't use anything else than xv to do the decoding...

Compiling xine with xxmc is (alsmost) only a way to start xine with an improved xv, but one don't use the gfx card power, in fact a Matrox G400 is much better to decode a DVD than my MSI Ultra 5950 256Mb under linux which is a shame, and the output of the nvidia xv is far from the quality of the Matrox, BUT Matrox xv has an hardware limitation of 1024x1024

If Nvidia could add the same extension via does, there card would be usefull for my usage... (well, I would also like to be able to encode to mpeg2 with there onboard mpeg2 encoders).

Happy XMas
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote