Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-14-02, 03:38 AM   #13
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
'telinit 3' should be sufficient for almost everybody. You don't need to reboot to single user mode.

--andy
Well, I just say it's better safe than sorry. You're right, it's not necessary. I've even installed these things with X running and it worked just fine. But it really doesn't hurt to do it.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-02, 10:05 PM   #14
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
I've even installed these things with X running and it worked just fine.
You can't upgrade a driver with X running, as you won't be able to replace the kernel module.

--andy
Old 12-14-02, 11:04 PM   #15
lmetza

Send a message via AIM to lmetza

i know mine work properly, cuz ive been playing the ut2003 demo and man does it run FAST. i just need antialiasing and some anistrofic filtering.

and i just found out i got hackied, in wondows XP. I have all security updates, running firewall with only 2 ports opne (that i opened). Somehows like 20 or so ports had been opened called msnmgs UDP and TCP rangeing from port 7000 to 18000. the onyl one I enabledwas for files transfering with messenger and thats it. Thus sux big time.
lmetza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 04:17 AM   #16
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham
You can't upgrade a driver with X running, as you won't be able to replace the kernel module.

--andy
Well, actually, it worked just fine. But I think the reason was that I wasn't running a previous version of nVidia's drivers at the time (Using an "nv" driver).
Old 12-16-02, 04:19 AM   #17
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by lmetza
i know mine work properly, cuz ive been playing the ut2003 demo and man does it run FAST. i just need antialiasing and some anistrofic filtering.
Check the readme for the exact settings for FSAA/Anisotropic, but here is how you can set them:

At the console, before running your game, type in, "export __GL_FSAA_MODE=1" (You can use a different number, of course. This is for 2x FSAA).

For anisotropic:
export __GL_DEFAULT_LOG_ANISO=3
(This one gives 8-degree aniso)

You can also place these commands in a .profile file in your home directory, or in /etc/profile to make the config global, so that the settings are applied at bootup.