Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-03, 05:01 PM   #1
monkeyman

Question HDTV anyone ?

Hi all,

I want to hook up a linux pc to my hdtv via component inputs. I am currently using a radon 9700pro on windows to do this, i want to flush windows and i know that tv-out support on ati stuff sucks on linux. I am thinking about switching to nvidia, but i want to know if it will help me or not. I want to be able to send a 1280x720 , 16:9 , 720p signal using component video inputs. Any awnsers, feedback, comments are appreciated. Thanks !

-MM
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-03, 05:51 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Tvout can't handle such high resolutions and I don't think it is very great for the image quality to send it over composite (poor quality analog). Can't you send it over a dvi port or something like that?
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-03, 09:44 PM   #3
matthew

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbird
Tvout can't handle such high resolutions and I don't think it is very great for the image quality to send it over composite (poor quality analog). Can't you send it over a dvi port or something like that?
Thats why the request says component video not composite.

I recently had my laptop (ATI equiped :-) connected to my Sisters TV via S-Video - which while analogue has seperate croma and luminance signals and the display quality was way ahead of what the same machine turns out on Composite.
My own TV only has composite so I had never directly compared the two before.

I have a 5200 FX equiped machine at home and I have run twin-view with the 2nd head being composite out. I find that good enough for playing DVD rips downloaded off the 'net, as the poor signal quality smooths out the crap encoding people do on those pirated files :-)
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-03, 10:33 PM   #4
AngelWind

Default Converter

What you want is a transcoder, which can run from cheap (if you call $100 cheap) to whatever depending on what you're doing.

A good example of this is here.

The FAQ says that you need a card that can do HDTV resolutions, but most newer cards do anyway, so once you get past the initial setup you shouldn't have to worry about changing anything from there. Xvidtune may help in tweaking if you have too much overscan, but it shouldn't be a problem if your HDTV and video card talk to each other nicely.
AngelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 01:47 PM   #5
dryder20850

Default Re: HDTV anyone ?

I'm using the ATI DVI->component dongle too to display on my HDTV. When I boot the computer the TV display is still enabled, (the TV) ... so i would imagine that starting X-windows would not cause it to turn off, but I could be wrong on that. ATI's website offers no info about X-window support using the dongle but they claim that "TV-out" can be enabled, this probably refers to the svideo output.

On to my issue... its time for a video card upgrade though and I'd like to switch to nvidia. I read somewhere that there's a reference design for 6800 ultra that supports component encoding, (component video output) but that no gfx card makers are bothering to make such cards.

Anyone know of any info on upcoming cards that support Component out, (nvidia)? I'd rather have a card than some transcoder, especially since the transcoderes tend to be HDMI to component and newer video cards have 2 DVI outputs. I"d rather not go DVI -> HDMI -> transcoder to Component. Less conversions is better... so are there DVI to Component transcoders? Ideally the vid cards would just start supporting component out but I fear this won't happen with newer HDTVs coming with DVI inputs.

Thanks for any info

dan

Last edited by dryder20850; 10-22-04 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add linux info
dryder20850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-04, 05:35 PM   #6
Thoreau

http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html

The newest linux HDTV tuner has just been released. It ships in November.
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-04, 06:19 AM   #7
chuckiebox

No I have not. As a matter of fact I'm looking into the ATI 9600 all in wonder because of the support for HD that it has.
chuckiebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 10:42 PM   #8
dinskeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman
Hi all,

I want to hook up a linux pc to my hdtv via component inputs....I want to be able to send a 1280x720 , 16:9 , 720p signal using component video inputs. Any awnsers, feedback, comments are appreciated. Thanks !

-MM
The 5700 Personal Cinema claims to be able to do this. Actually, it <b>can</b> do this, just only under windows. The 5700PC has a breakout box with Svideo, component, and composite - really nice hardware setup. Works great under windows. I've been fighting to get it to work with Linux (FC2) and the latest drivers all day long, with no joy. I had high hopes for the last two driver updates (one added explicit support for a variety of HDTV modes, such as 1280x720p), but they don't work.

So, my feedback is, HD under linux with nvidia is not ready for primetime. Or any time, for that matter. Hopefully they'll get it figured out, but it's clear that tvout receives low priority in testing and development in the linux driver. Still, it beats any of the ATI cards with HD output under linux - nvidia at least makes some effort.
dinskeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-04, 02:59 AM   #9
Thunderbird

Recently I discovered that since 1.0-6xxx nvidia added some new tvout modes to their drivers:
"HD480i" : 480 line interlaced
"HD480p" : 480 line progressive
"HD720p" : 720 line progressive
"HD1080i": 1080 line interlaced
"HD1080p": 1080 line progressive
"HD576i" : 576 line interlace
"HD576p" : 576 line progressive

Here the 480i/576i modes are plain NTSC/PAL and the 480p/576p modes are usefull for "100Hz/120Hz" televisions (progressive scan). The other modes are various progressive/interlaced HDTV modes. To use such a mode you need to choose one of these as the tvstandard, so they replace NTSC/PAL.

Not sure what you have to do with resolution/metamode stuff as the modes above alrready define a resolution I think.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 12:27 PM   #10
jasonwoods

Angry Re: HDTV anyone ?

Quote:
I want to hook up a linux pc to my hdtv via component inputs.
Does anyone want to answer the first thing on this post? I have an MSI 6600GT with COMPONENT out and want to know if the drivers support this.
jasonwoods is offline   Reply With Quote