Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-04, 06:44 PM   #1
slug420

Default Quadro Twinview/Dualhead on Suse 9.1 Problems

As the topic says I am having trouble getting the quadro card to display on both screens running suse 9.1

Following the instructions to get the drivers I simply went into yast and selected the nvidia drivers and downloaded them. It is my understanding that this also installs them however if this is ont the case then maybe thats my problem...

I have adjusted the device section in the xf86config file to add the refresh and sync rates along with meta modes and the option of twinview and the resolution on my desktop is wide now as it should be (i have to pan the screen right to left to see everything) but i am not getting anything out of my second display.

During boot I see everything mirrored between the 2 displays so I know the physical connectivity exists but when I get into X where I want 1 desktop spread across 2 displays the 2nd display remains blank.

As I understand it getting this to work is simply a matter of the drivers being installed since it is one connection on the video card that splits into 2 vga connectors the OS thinks it is one very wide display and the drivers are what make sure the card distributes the desktop onto 2 displays.... Because of this I believe the XF86config file simply makes sure suse is displaying a wide resolution so it really seems to me like the drivers arent working....but I just ran yast update like the instructions say so I dont know how there could be a problem. I first ran yast and downloaded the drivers then right clicked on them and did "update" so I should have th elatest ones on there.

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks!
slug420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-04, 01:42 PM   #2
slug420

Default Re: Quadro Twinview/Dualhead on Suse 9.1 Problems

bump
Old 12-28-04, 05:13 PM   #3
spooge

what monitors are you using
Old 12-28-04, 08:29 PM   #4
jImbEam

You can try what I did, setup the system with sax2 and the nv driver and then edit the config by hand to use the nvidia driver.

Try that, it should get your config closer then trying to edit only by hand.

jImbEam
jImbEam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 12:02 PM   #5
slug420

what is sax2?

and how would i get it to use the nvidia driver by hand?

I amd using the yast auto update to install the driver and in xf86config it says that it is using an nvidia driver and I didnt have to edit it to say that. Although I think at some point whether in the hardware device manager or in /var/log/messages on boot it says the driver it is loading for nvidia and it is not the latest one.... could yast be updating the driver but I still need to tell some config file which version or the driver to use or something?

thanks
Old 12-30-04, 02:59 PM   #6
jImbEam

sax2 is the program that YaST uses to configure X, you can also run it from the command line. What I mentioned above was to use the nv driver and sax2 to congifure your monitors. I say this because I have had good success with sax2 and the nv driver auto detecting my monitors in the past.

Try this:
1) change to run level 3 (init 3)
2) run "sax2 -m 0=nv" to start sax2 with the nv driver.
3) configure your monitors and save the config
3.5) You may want to test your config here by starting X before you edit.
4) edit the config by hand to use the nvidia driver
5) go back to run level 5 (init 5)

jImbEam
Old 01-02-05, 08:20 PM   #7
slug420

how can I make sure that I am running the driver version I am supposed to be running, and is there anything I should have to do (sax?) in addition to running yast update to get the new driver installed/running?
Old 01-03-05, 08:22 AM   #8
slug420

any other ideas? this HAS to be a drivers problem. it totally seems like the drivers are not installed correctly or are not being used. All I should have to set up in any config file should be configuring a resolution twice as wide as a normal resolution so that it will span both displays. the Driver is supposed to do all of the multi-heading since the OS is being led to believe there is just one really wide display.

How can I see what version of driver is being used and how can I force it to use a newer version. What is there that I can do besides YOU??

Old 01-03-05, 03:55 PM   #9
jImbEam

How did you install the nvidia driver? I am not really sure, but it seem that when I run the installer it removes older versions of the driver as part of the install.

I don't really know any of the file names or how to figure out what version they are once they are installed.

Anyone know if "nvidia-settings" reports the correct version of the driver?

jImbEam