Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-05, 12:21 PM   #1
a.mcneill

Default nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 and dual display failure

Hello, installed in my suse 9.2 linux box is an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 agp card (64meg), in my pci slot i have an SIS300 card (32 meg). Originally when i started using these two cards in conjunction, i was running suse 8.2. I used the nvidia drivers from the nvidia web site, had a dual display, had 3D openGL, life was perfect. Since suse 9.1 though, i have had nothing but failure. Mind you, i can get dual displays with just the generic drivers provided by suse, but when i install the nvidia drivers from the web, i cannot start X.

First off, i am using the default kernel, (suse 9.x) does not provide the amd kernel for me anymore (not sure why). I reboot, init 3, log in as root, run the nvidia.sh installer (with kernel-source installed). Nvidia does its thing, but during the process, it complains that i have "rivaFB' support installed in my kernel (not sure what that means) and that there may be problems. Yet it installs seamlessly otherwise.

Now, still i follow instructions and run sax2 -m 0=nvidia. Sax tries to start the x-server config utility but then kicks back out and claims something about "ups cannot find hardware or display 0 or something of that nature.

I don't remember exactly, it took me long enough just to get my x-server back without trying to go through that again.

Here is what i have done/know:
I tried changing the PCI to the primary display (cmos setting) as suggested by someone on the internet, still failed.

I tried just setting the driver name in xorg.conf/XF86Config to nvidia (without running sax2) i get the nvidia logo (but it looks like somebody use a paint brush on my monitor) but then x just sits there on the logo forever, and ever, and ever, ...

If i remove the SIS300 card, everything works perfectly, BUT i would like a dual display.

I have tried numerous other pci video boards, same results as previously mentioned.

If after all this i run the nvidia-installer --uninstall, go back to my original xorg.conf/XF86Config file (yes i made a backup), then i can get x started again. BUT without openGL, 3D, so on and so on.

If anyone can help, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I am by no means linux savvy (beginner at best). I am not a programmer (maybe some pascal). And i have no idea how to remove rivaFB support from my kernel (if that is all i need to do). But i would like my dual display back (3D and all), as i do spend alot of time on my pc.

By the by, if it matters or not, when i was running suse 8.2, my 3Ddiag was averaging 832 FPS (with the nvidia drivers). Now, with the generic drivers i average about 172 FPS.
a.mcneill is offline   Reply With Quote