Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-05, 10:37 AM   #1
Therac-25

Unhappy Black Screen with TNT1 and 6111

I've got a Gentoo box running 2.6.9 and the 6111 drivers, using a Diamond Viper v550 16M TNT1, and I'm getting a black screen when X starts up. (Yes, the nvidia kernel module has been loaded, the unresolved symbol issue w/ 6111 and 2.6.9 has been dealt with).

/var/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine -- I don't know what it should look like in this case, but the last line is "(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768". Is that typically the last line in the file? Or am I missing something afterwards?

After that, it just goes black, locks up, and nessecitates a reboot.

The only interesting module I'm loading is the v4l module (as this is going to be a PVR box). The glx modules are loaded and in the path. I have nvtv installed, but it's not running when I'm doing this. It happens regardless of whether or not RenderAccel is set to 1 or 0.

Has anyone encountered this type of problem before? I've searched around the forum, but most of the other problems with TNTs seem to be related to 6629, everyone thinks 6111 works fine with these cards :\ So it must be something I've done wrong.

Is it as simple as a wrong frequency line somewhere, or do I need to downgrade to another version of the drivers to find something that actually likes the older cards?
Therac-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 11:15 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Black Screen with TNT1 and 6111

@Therac-25: the symptoms suggest that the graphics card isn't receiving interrupts; are you using ACPI? If so, disabling ACPI interrupt routing might help (try pci=noacpi, pci=biosirq, acpi=off). Likewise, if you're using an I/O APIC, disabling that might help (noapic). It's also possible that if there's other devices sharing the IRQ, those devices or their drivers might interfere. You may also want to check if disabling AGP helps.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 01:52 PM   #3
Therac-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@Therac-25: the symptoms suggest that the graphics card isn't receiving interrupts; are you using ACPI? If so, disabling ACPI interrupt routing might help (try pci=noacpi, pci=biosirq, acpi=off). Likewise, if you're using an I/O APIC, disabling that might help (noapic). It's also possible that if there's other devices sharing the IRQ, those devices or their drivers might interfere. You may also want to check if disabling AGP helps.
I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks. I know ACPI isn't enabled, but other than that, I'll play with the AGP settings.
Old 01-13-05, 06:12 PM   #4
Therac-25

Here's my log file and xorg.conf file -- I forgot to post them before. I'm going to play around with various AGP and ACPI settings in the bios, and see what evolves.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (22.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (1.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-13-05, 06:18 PM   #5
Therac-25

Okay, this is interesting. I turned off all of the ACPI stuff (as per your recommendation), and now something happens -- after a few seconds of black, it turns into a flashing white and grey (where the "grey" is dithered, looks like the old dithered high-ascii IBM character in the shape of a square).

I had this EXACT symptom with the 6629 drivers, so i'm going to take a look at the ebuild and see if there are any useless patches in there that are doing something.