Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-05, 09:23 PM   #1
eburness

Default Getting a GeforceFX 5950 and a Voodoo5 PCI to play together?? Any ideas?

Ok guys,

here's one you prolly don't encounter often. I want to use my GeforceFX 5950 (flashed from 5900) alongside a Voodoo5 PCI (ahhh, 3dfx, those were the days). Now, I don't want to use two monitors really, so I need some way of connecting these two graphics cards to the same monitor. Does anyone know how to do this? Kind of like a KVM switch but for graphics cards.

The idea behind this setup is mainly twofold. First, the Voodoo5 apparently scales very well with better CPU's, so my 2.2ghz AthlonXP, while not the fastest, is still way more than enough to let the Voodoo show me everything it can do when put in a better system than those available in 2001. Second, I like to play some older games as well, and many of them were written for or are compatible with the 3dfx's Glide api, and so I want to run them off the Voodoo now.

I also have two other side interests here. First, I do have a place in my heart for 3dfx (c'mon, back in the day they whupped it up), and also I'm trying to find out if multiple Voodoo5 PCI's can be run in SLI. This last part is probably not doable, but it should be noted that Quantum3D did it with as many as 32 VSA-100 chips in a single system for their high-end visual reality simulators. So as you might imagine, I'm having dreams of 4 Voodoo5's occupying my PCI slots banging out some UT2004 goodness, 3dfx style ;-)

If anyone is interested in trying to figure this out, lemme know. eburness@gmail.com

-------------------------------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2.2ghz (10x200)
Epox 8rd+ rev 1.1
512mb DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-11
GeforceFX 5950 w/ 128mb DDR @ 484/884
3dfx Voodoo5 PCI w/ 64mb SDRAM @ 200/200
60gb HD / 120gb HD
16x DVD-R/RW +/-
500W PSU (piece o crap)
WinXP SP2
eburness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 09:40 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Getting a GeforceFX 5950 and a Voodoo5 PCI to play together?? Any ideas?

Why not just use a glide wrapper? The one available from here is about the most compatible one out there. I've had great success getting Carmageddon 2 to run on any NVIDIA card I've owned. He does offer names of other wrappers in case what you want to play isn't listed.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 10:00 PM   #3
ChrisRay

Default Re: Getting a GeforceFX 5950 and a Voodoo5 PCI to play together?? Any ideas?

There are some switches out there that switch each graphic card from primary display. They were used in really old alienware systems where TNT2/Voodoo3's were used.

You are aware of the sick power requirements for such a setup aye?
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote