Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-25-02, 07:32 AM   #1
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Question dhcp server for windows question?

Does anyone know of quick and easy freeware (without spyware) dhcp server software that i can run in any version of windows (win 98 and windows 2000 pro) without resorting to installing the likes of nt server or 2000 server.

The idea is to be able to switch on the dhcp server when i need to connect local machines and switch it off when i connect it to my cable modem away from other pcs.
Old 12-26-02, 05:04 PM   #2
gpk

Default ROUTER

Get yourself a DSL/CABLE router, I have the linksys 4 port router/100 switch (which also acts as a DHCP server). Either that or install a 2nd network card for the LAN segment and one for the eternal cable modem. I don't see y u want to switch cables all the time.

I still however believe a router is your best bet as it is also a firewall.

gpk
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-02, 11:14 AM   #3
zsynth

DHCP FIX

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...em/dhcpfix.htm
zsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-02, 11:47 AM   #4
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Question Re: ROUTER

Quote:
Originally posted by gpk
Get yourself a DSL/CABLE router, I have the linksys 4 port router/100 switch (which also acts as a DHCP server). Either that or install a 2nd network card for the LAN segment and one for the eternal cable modem. I don't see y u want to switch cables all the time.

I still however believe a router is your best bet as it is also a firewall.

gpk
What do you think of the linksys in general use have you had to update the firmware for anything? Are there any particular annoyances.

Do you use a software firewall on top or does the hardware box do the works?

Oh and whats an eternal modem ? Is it certified for the afterlife?
Old 12-29-02, 04:36 AM   #5
gpk

Default heh

LOL make that EXTERNAL modem
(I'm a good speller; very bad typist )

I usually upgrade my firmware just to be up to date. Over the years they've added a better management GUI (HTML interface) and universal plug and play support (uPnP) for WinXP
I don't use a software firewall; bad experiences w/ Zone Alarm in the past and i don't like em sucking up precious CPU cycles

One very small inconvenience is that the router requires you to disable DHCP and assign static IPs to your systems if you want to be a game or application server. Not really a big deal but since you now have static DNS servers you have to update them in your windows TCP/IP settings if ever your ISP ever changes their DNS servers IP addresses. It's a good idea to check the settings in your router Config's page once in a while and make sure your windows settings match.

The other small annoyances i can think of was a year ago or so, a newer firmware caused medal of honor to pause for a few secons when playing online every few minutes or so. I downgraded my firmware and waited for the newer one to come out.
And about a month ago a firmware upgrade cause the uPnP (which most ppl don't use at all) to not work properly but they quickly fixed that in an update.

Other than that it's been performing really well and the convenience of a 100 Mbps full duplex switch and firewall is great.
With all devices It's a good idea to always keep older firmware upgrades and drivers on your disk for emergencies and
unforeseen hiccups...

I can honestly recommend the linksys router without reservation....

gpk
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote