Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-05, 05:07 AM   #1
DJMONDY

Default If i were to make some changes

To my pc from this:

CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT
Memory 512 MB DDR RAM - PC2700
Memory 512 MB DDR RAM - PC3200 (installed after system was bought)
Motherboard TriGem IT865GE (MS 6743)
Hard Drive 160GB UDMA hard drive & 160GB External
CD / DVD Drive 16 x DVD-ROM
CD / DVD Drive 52x CD-RW
Video / Graphics Card BFG 6800 Ultra oc (256 MB) @ stock speeds
Sound Card Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital
PSU 550 Watt
Windows XP Home

And change my motherboard and processor to this:

AMD 64 FX55 (whatever the highest speed is)
Asus A8V motherboard
Some fast ram

From a gameing point of view what kind of performance increases would i expect to see??

Trying to make the best game pc i can.

Cheers
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 05:16 AM   #2
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Default Re: If i were to make some changes

I think you'd get at least a 20% increase in games, probably up to 40% increase in frames and even more with some fast ram.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 05:42 AM   #3
jolle

yeah should be some pretty good improvements, not enough for what it costs IMO, but then again Im pretty poor and somewhat cheap hehe..
Old 02-21-05, 06:05 AM   #4
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle
yeah should be some pretty good improvements, not enough for what it costs IMO, but then again Im pretty poor and somewhat cheap hehe..
Im not loaded myself.

The processor is currently 560 so ive got to wait for it to drop!!
Old 02-21-05, 07:20 AM   #5
brady
I'm like everyone else.

this is just my opinion of course...im all about amd cpu's right now but i dont think that would be a wise use of your money. i dont think you would see a large enough performance increase to warrent spending that much. you might just be better off replacing your mixed ram with 2 sticks of higher qaulity ram.

if you did want to jump on the a64 train...i went with the 3500+ and i get great performance without the huge price commitment.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Tech Report has the scoop on Intel's new Pentium 4 600 series processors. Based on the Prescott core, the Pentium 4 600 supports 64-bit extensions and is loaded with 2MB of L2 cache. The new processors operate at a FSB frequency of 800MHz and support Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep power management technology. For the enthusiast, an Extreme Edition will also be available for $999, which runs at 3.73GHz on a 1066MHz front-side bus.
All told, the Pentium 4 600 series represents good progress for Intel. Power consumption is down, performance is up a bit, and some of the new features are important developments, like 64-bit support and SpeedStep. Unfortunately, the jump from 1MB of L2 cache to 2MB doesn't seem to offer big returns in most desktop applications, but it doesn't hurt, either. I haven't yet tested 64-bit performance, so I won't comment on that, although it's nice to know the capability is in the chip. (We'll look at 64-bit performance shortly in a follow-up article.)

MikeC: The AMD Athlon 64 (3500+ and up) continues to dominate in game (Doom 3, Far Cry, Half-Life 2 and UT2004) performance.

-----------------------------------------------------

MikeC seams to feel that even the 3500+ offers better game performance that intels best offerings. i have not seen enough benchmarks to know for certain that this is true. i can say that with my rig i do get great performance and im glad i went with the cheapest a64.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 07:44 AM   #6
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
this is just my opinion of course...im all about amd cpu's right now but i dont think that would be a wise use of your money. i dont think you would see a large enough performance increase to warrent spending that much. you might just be better off replacing your mixed ram with 2 sticks of higher qaulity ram.

if you did want to jump on the a64 train...i went with the 3500+ and i get great performance without the huge price commitment.
Thanks for your honesty.

The reason im asking about this is coz ive been told my cpu is a bottleneck (which i was p****d about) and thats why im looking into the 64bit processors.

It is alot of money and i would expect serious performance increases if i spent that kind of money.

Ive done searches on my motherboard but have been unable to find out much about it.

What i know is it takes ddr memory @ 3200 (maybe 2700) and it can be dual channel memory.

I dont know much about ram so if you could point me in the right direction of good make and speed then i could give it a go
Old 02-21-05, 07:53 AM   #7
brady
I'm like everyone else.

what kind of ram do you have now? i hope somebody else pops in here and offers an opinion or corrects me if im wrong...in any case, i believe that even though you have a 3200 stick of ram its probably has to scale back to 2700 speeds because obviosly the 2700 cant scale up (well it could be overclocked) but your mobo wont do that automatically.

so one good option would be to get a second stick of whatever 3200 ram you currently own and sell that 2700 or toss it out.

a good place to get info about cpu's and really anything computer is anandtech.com. also sharkyextreme.com and tomshardware.com have very informative reviews and i think they all have some type of a buyers guide they put out monthly (i know anandtech does)

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 02-21-05, 07:56 AM   #8
brady
I'm like everyone else.

i was also going to say that really you could stay where you are for right now and not worry about it. because im sure your rig plays all the latest games just fine. wait untill you want to save up for a whole new rig. unless your one of those loony upgraders who basically buys a new computer every quarter.

seriously though, if you dont have the cash, i think it would be wise just to save up for next generation hardware....new cpu's (dual core), new vid card (sli's)...ect.

Old 02-21-05, 08:03 AM   #9
Marcos
think of me not at all

Send a message via AIM to Marcos

do not upgrade not worth the $

<-- worst. smiley. ever.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:39 AM   #10
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
i was also going to say that really you could stay where you are for right now and not worry about it. because im sure your rig plays all the latest games just fine. wait untill you want to save up for a whole new rig. unless your one of those loony upgraders who basically buys a new computer every quarter.

seriously though, if you dont have the cash, i think it would be wise just to save up for next generation hardware....new cpu's (dual core), new vid card (sli's)...ect.
My pc plays games very well its just sometimes it will slowdown like in farcry. I know its an intensive game but to go down to 20-25 fps, its playable but not acceptable.
Half-life 2 and doom 3 have never played bad on my pc even @ 2048*1536 res and deatil on max.
Farcry must be badly made or something?

Ive had my system for a while now and im very happy with it. The main thing ive changed is i went from a nvidia 5600 to a 5900U then a 6800U and i added more ram.

I'll definitly consider better faster ram and pairing them up to be the same speeds.

Cheers