Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-02, 12:43 AM   #1
RUSTY

Default Nvidia 4191 Drivers & Kernel 2.4-18-19

Has anyone installed nvidia 4191 drivres on kernel 2.4-18-19 ??? Could you please post your XFConfig86 file and explain steps you took to install it. I have the problem with " nvidia.o ", sorry could not post my file here.

Thanks
RUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-02, 12:24 PM   #2
bwkaz

2.4.18-19 should be the same as any other supported kernel -- grab NVchooser.sh, run it, and install what it tells you to download. If this is an upgrade kernel for some distro (which one?), then there probably won't be specific drivers for it, which means that NVchooser will tell you to download the .src.rpm files.

When you install from source (either .src.rpm or .tar.gz) you need kernel-source-2.4.18-19 (the version that matches your running kernel) installed. If it's RedHat, then you need it configured as well (which involves finding a config file in configs/, copying it to /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19/.config, then running "make mrproper oldconfig dep").

Beyond this generic info, I would need to see the exact error message you're getting, and what you're doing when you see it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-02, 07:48 AM   #3
~=MOON=~

Post nvidia.o mismatch.

I do have a similar problem with nvidia.o where I am told that the nvidia.o driver has been build for a different kernel version...2.4-18-19custom instead of 2.4-18-19. I am under redhat 8 and can`t work around for now.
~=MOON=~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 12:18 AM   #4
drewm

Default Re: nvidia.o mismatch.

Quote:
Originally posted by ~=MOON=~
I do have a similar problem with nvidia.o where I am told that the nvidia.o driver has been build for a different kernel version...2.4-18-19custom instead of 2.4-18-19. I am under redhat 8 and can`t work around for now.
Edit the file /usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefile and change the line EXTRAVERSION and remove the "custom" and recompile the driver
drewm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 05:14 AM   #5
~=MOON=~

Exclamation Tried and failed.

I have tried it but it is still failing...
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia_error.txt (7.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 12-29-02, 09:42 AM   #6
cdrradar

Honestly, I never trusted RPMs, I'm sorry. The one time I tried it with Mandrake (and oddly enough, it was the NVidia driver sources I was trying to get!), and it didn't work.

Get the source tarballs and compile those. Much fewer headaches.
cdrradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 01:16 PM   #7
~=MOON=~

Using the rpm or the source codes will make no difference, I still get an error that will prevent installation to finish.
Old 12-29-02, 03:49 PM   #8
crimsun

Default Re: Tried and failed.

Quote:
Originally posted by ~=MOON=~
I have tried it but it is still failing...
I'm not altogether familiar with the build process used in RPMs, but upon inspecting your attached file, it appears that among other things, you're not compiling against the matching set of kernel headers for your running kernel. This is apparent from the slew of unresolved symbols. This may be partly explained by the EXTRAVERSION hackery you used, since "custom" seems to have disappeared. Maybe the RPM build process uses another linux/Makefile for inspection of EXTRAVERSION?
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote