Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-02, 06:13 PM   #1
darkshadow
GeForceFX 5900

Default Just about perfect but need to get rid of bars

I just installed the 4191 drivers and I am happy that I now have my screen @1600x1200 plus my tv @800x600 for the use of dvd's and video files which was so important that I didn't mind the performance hit my computer took with the upgrade.

But all I need to make me the happiest is a way to get rid of the blackbars on my tv so if anyone knows I would be thankfull.

I am using a GeForce2 mx 440
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-02, 07:51 AM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Do the BLACKBARS on the TV only showup when you playback 'WideScreen' DVD's???

If so, then that's normal. You CAN'T get rid of those blackbars. (This also happens on Widescreen TV's depending on the format. 16x9 no bars, 1.78x1 blackbars etc...)

The only time you will NOT get the blackbars is when you playback FULL frame DVD's. And these are rare as most of them will be in Widescreen..
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-02, 11:09 AM   #3
darkshadow
GeForceFX 5900

the blackbars are for everything. desktop included
Old 12-23-02, 04:18 AM   #4
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

What about the Monitor?? Are there blackbars on it too??
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-02, 09:10 AM   #5
mikeh2003

darkshadow, this is normal when outputting to a TV. There was a nice explantaion posted somewhere explaining why (something to do with the amount of pixels and scanlines on a PAL TV not matching up, I forget exactly).

Here's what I did, and my typical conspiricy theory

I guess you're wanting to watch all your DivX movies on your big widescreen TV, yeah? And its very annoying that you cant get fullscreen? Annoyed me too. I built a box just for this purpose, and had a hell of a time getting it acceptable.

You might want to check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/ which is an open source tool for controlling the tv encoder chips on nvidia cards, needless to say this is not supported by nvidia. Do not have the nvidia tv out or twinview enabled when you run this tool.

(conspiracy mode *on*)
The problem is you need to set the overscan on the tv out and the nvidia drivers do not support this. I'm thinking that all the issues I have found with watching films on tv-out have not been resolved yet as graphics card manufacturers do not want people building their own set top boxes! After all, why would you buy a DVD+DivX player if you can build your own box which browses the net and plays games as well, for not much more? You wouldn't, and so the bugs and issues go unfixed and requests for help are ignored.
(conspiracy mode *off*)

Read through the docs on the nvtv project, they are very helpful regarding overscan.

Other problems I had when watching movies on TV :

1) Desktop size. The standard TV out modes do not display widescreen, and the nvidia drivers will not let you specify a tv out mode in widescreen. I have got round this though, details to come...

2) "Tearing" - where the top and bottom halves of the screen update slightly out of sync. I have overcome this too.

3) Actually getting your movies to display in the correct aspect. A lot players out there will display the movies in 4:3 letterbox just fine, or 16:9 movies just fine, but not detect and switch between the two well on a widescreen tv with a widescreen tv out mode. I have got round this too, using MPlayer.

I'll post an account on my set top box building on my website soon, if anyone's interested that is.
mikeh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 04:51 PM   #6
69link

Could you please post your XF86Config with settings to simultanously enable CRT@1600x1200 and TV@800x600.

Thanks
69link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 10:48 PM   #7
darkshadow
GeForceFX 5900

I tried that tv tool but just kept crashing X or odd time my full computer so is there any docs that give a good explanation of the program.

69link attached is my XF86Config
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (5.8 KB, 257 views)