Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-02, 12:25 PM   #1
zarathustra674

Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustra674
Default Solaris, anybody using it?

I know this is the linux section, but I figured if i put this in general software the right people wouldnt see it. Anyway, Im not haveing any luck with mandrake 9. My system hangs when i try to view mnt, and the dvdrom is makeing some kind of racket. It does this for like ten minutes or so. Also I got this cheap usb camera, mustek cdc 3500 camera, as a gift recently and it doesnt work at all. I did get the video drivers working, thanks to you guys, but thats about the extent of my good luck. I cant get Everybuddy to work properly, basically its just too much work and taking up too much time. So Im asking if anyone here has used Solaris, because i Downloaded a copy of that last fall, and never really tried it. I used it a little out at the college, but i had to drop the unix class after 2 weeks and i havent used it since.
Old 01-02-03, 06:59 AM   #2
borgzilla
Linux Assimilator

If you can't get mandrake to work with your system don't waste your time with solaris. Solaris is ok if you have sparc CPU but under x86 it's pain in the arse. If you want to try some unix get freeBSD cause it has much better driver support for x86 architecture and it also comes with linux binary emulator.
borgzilla is offline   Reply With Quote