Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-04, 11:35 PM   #1
jlacroix

Default Driver Needs to be reinstalled, after EVERY boot.

Hello all I have a wierd problem, when I first install the Nvidia driver (6111) and then "startx" the driver runs the desktop, but when I reboot, I get X errors. When I am back to the prompt, I uninstall, then reinstall the nvidia driver. On the reinstall it works, but when I reboot, gone again.

Further more, when I try to play Tuxracer (after the driver is reinstalled) the screen gets too huge for the display and very huge, and stays there. The game crashes.

This is Fedora Core 3 Test 2. When I upgraded from Fedora Core 2 Final, the nvidia driver worked beautifully. On a fresh install, I have this mess to contend with.

Card: Geforce FX 5200 128MB
RAM: 768MB
Process. PIII 500mhz

Attached please find the xorg.conf and xorg log files, hopefully those will help. I know you all are about to say not to use a test release, but my first install of Test 2 was flawless, and I need to have updated software, since upgrading gnome to 2.8 and KDE3.3 is not possible on FC2Final.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (26.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.7 KB, 133 views)
jlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 11:36 PM   #2
jlacroix

Default Re: Driver Needs to be reinstalled, after EVERY boot.

Forgot to mention I tried with selinux off, and I tried with selinux on.
Old 09-21-04, 12:36 PM   #3
Antti

Instead of re-installing, try running a simple command as root:

modprobe nvidia

Does it now work without re-installing the driver? I have this problem on one computer running Mandrake 10: the driver nvidia does not load in boot! Need to load it manually every time! So I made a script to do that and added it to /etc/rc5.d. The script just has that modprobe-line.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 03:44 PM   #4
jlacroix

First of all, doing modprove nvidia as root loads the nvidia module and all is well there.
However, I created a file called "nvidia" with the modprobe nvidia line in it, saved it where you said to and nothing happens, I still have to do it manually. It's a start, though.

Now, when I play tuxracer the screen still goes huge and then it crashes so I don't know what is wrong there, if I run tux racer with the command window, I get:
Code:
[jeremy@localhost ~]$ tuxracer
Tux Racer 0.61 -- a Sunspire Studios Production (http://www.sunspirestudios.com)
(c) 1999-2000 Jasmin F. Patry <jfpatry@sunspirestudios.com>
"Tux Racer" is a trademark of Jasmin F. Patry
Tux Racer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.

Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions
are too resticitive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
to correct.
[jeremy@localhost ~]$
Does that maybe help?
Old 09-21-04, 04:01 PM   #5
Thunderbird

Although the "solutions" you guys tried work the better way on most distributions is to add some line to /etc/modules.conf or the file your distribution uses to automaticly load modules on startup.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 04:07 PM   #6
jlacroix

by the way, I chmodded my /dev/nvidia directory and it got rid of that problem, now I get this when trying tux racer (And the same screen problem):
Code:
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption: 0x08375430
Old 09-21-04, 10:54 PM   #7
Compholio

tux racer is broken for a lot of FC people, check bugzilla.
Compholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 09:20 AM   #8
Antti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Although the "solutions" you guys tried work the better way on most distributions is to add some line to /etc/modules.conf or the file your distribution uses to automaticly load modules on startup.
I know. But this way it seems to work the best, didn't get modules.conf or other workarounds working...

jlacroix, name the file in your /etc/rc5.d-folder to something like S20nvidia and remember to make it executable (chmod +x S20nvidia). Also make sure you are actually booting to the runlevel you are editing, in this case runlevel 5.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-05, 04:05 PM   #9
gaspar

i'm having the same issues as well. i'm not sure why nvidia isn't modprobing correctly. any ideas on a fix is appreciated.
gaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 10:17 AM   #10
zarlat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacroix
Hello all I have a wierd problem, when I first install the Nvidia driver (6111) and then "startx" the driver runs the desktop, but when I reboot, I get X errors. When I am back to the prompt, I uninstall, then reinstall the nvidia driver. On the reinstall it works, but when I reboot, gone again.
I have the same problem. This NVIDIA drive and Fedora 3 problems are a mess. Anyone know what is really going on? I jury rigged the system by adding a file called nvidia to rc3.d containing the line modprobe nvidia and linking it to S20nvida in rc3.d. It should work from modprobe.conf.
zarlat is offline   Reply With Quote