Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-04, 03:11 PM   #1
Panick

Default Quad Monitor SLI in Linux

I know that SLI is supposed to allow people to run up to 4 monitors in Windows but does that apply to the Linux drivers as well? I'd like to put together a 4 monitor desktop in Linux just for the hell of it. Does anyone know if this is even possible?
Panick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 03:45 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Quad Monitor SLI in Linux

It are just two videocards, you would have to use some XF86Config magic to set up two times twinview and connect that to each other. (it works for quadro4 nvs400 boards too; if you don't know those it are basicly videocards with two gpus; in total it are two seperate boards)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-05, 12:24 PM   #3
DebbieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panick
... I'd like to put together a 4 monitor desktop in Linux just for the hell of it. ...
This is what we want to do as well (but not "just for the hell of it" :-). Has anyone gotten
this to work? If so, how? Which Linux distro? What did your X config file look like?

Thanks,
Debbie
DebbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 03:32 PM   #4
DebbieT

Thumbs down Re: Quad Monitor SLI in Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieT
This is what we want to do as well (but not "just for the hell of it" . Has anyone gotten
this to work? If so, how? Which Linux distro? What did your X config file look like?

Thanks,
Debbie
Apparently this IS possible, but not with Tyan motherboards. The BIOS doesn't recognize the second card (or GPU for the 400 NVS). See the thread at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41903

Some of us are waiting with baited breath (and PRs at the ready ) for a fix, but ...

Debbie
DebbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 01:49 PM   #5
jgeorger

Are you listening Nvidia? I know people who would like to see this, esp for AMD64. I saw the latest AMD64 driver release today, was hoping something would be in there regarding this issue. I would assume once >2 display support is in, the name Twinview will have to be replaced.... Alas, the Twinview section appears to be the same as previous driver releases.

So IS this possible with non-Tyan boards? Are we talking Quadro NVS 400 or 2 x PCI-E cards? We want to run AMD64 because of the increased memory available for some big jobs.
jgeorger is offline   Reply With Quote