Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-05, 01:41 AM   #1
lasindi

Default Segmentation Faults in Demanding OpenGL Programs

When I run OpenGL programs, they all seem to experience segmentation faults, and the frequency of the seg faults is approximately directly proportional to the complexity of the program. For example, BZFlag will crash about every 30 minutes. America's Army will crash about every 5 minutes. The Doom 3 demo will crash about every 30 seconds. I'm running Linux 2.6.10, CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200, my card is a GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB w/8X AGP, motherboard chipset: nForce2, 1 GB DDR RAM. I've heard that nForce2 has stability issues in Linux; is this the problem? I've tried disabling ACPI/APIC, adding 'append = "mem=nopentium"' to lilo.conf, and disabling AGP, all with no result. Any ideas about what's going wrong?

lasindi
lasindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 12:13 PM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: Segmentation Faults in Demanding OpenGL Programs

Hi,
your CPU is overheating and/or your PSU is insufficent. Clean the heatsinks and the fans, if your problems are gone, congratulations. If not, try a different PSU.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 08:16 PM   #3
lasindi

Default Re: Segmentation Faults in Demanding OpenGL Programs

Though I doubted you at first, it does indeed seem to have been a cooling issue. However, could part of the issue also have been with the GPU (after all, that's what's given a workout in an OpenGL program)? Anyhow, I made various modifications to my case, cleaned out the CPU and GPU heatsinks, shifted a fan around, and now it seems to be working fine. Thanks so much!

lasindi
lasindi is offline   Reply With Quote