Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-05, 03:44 PM   #13
mikko1200

Default Re: XFX 6600GT and 6629

Thanks Audax321 for your advices. Unfortunately they didn't help me. I believe the problem can be here; I got this message during the nvidia driver installation

"Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module. The rivafb driver conflicts with the nvidia driver; the nvidia kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the nvidia driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded!"

What this means?
mikko1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 10:37 AM   #14
cjcox

It means if you are loading the rivafb, you may have a problem. Alot of dists use a framebuffer at startup to give higher res graphical boot ups or just better (larger) text screens on the first virtual console... however, I don't know if any use the rivafb... I've had no problems with the SUSE 9.2 vesafb.
cjcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 01:41 PM   #15
Audax321

I get that message too when I install the nvidia driver. Its normal. As long as the rivafb module isn't loaded, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Give this a try:

If you can get into a GUI, run nvidia-settings and see if that shows that you have a GeForce installed, then let us know what it says. Make a backup copy of XF86Config (found in /etc/X11).

Then open up the existing one (as root, see end of post if unsure how to do this) and edit the device section to have the following sections (if you already have sections like BoardName, just edit the value in quotes to match below):

Section "Device"
BoardName "GeForce 6600 GT"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVidia"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

Then look under the module section and make sure it doesn't have the following:

Load "dri"
Load "GLCore"

BUT, make sure that this section does have:

Load "glx"

Finally, find a section that looks like this:

Section "DRI"
Group "video"
Mode 0660
EndSection

If it doesn't exist. Good. If it does exist, then comment it out by placing # in front of each line so it looks like this:

#Section "DRI"
# Group "video"
# Mode 0660
#EndSection

Then save and restart.

See what happens. If you just get to a text console then restore the original XF86Config (as root) by typing:

mv /whatever_the_path_is_for_backup/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config

when it asks you to overwrite, say yes. Otherwise, if the X GUI starts up, run nvidia-settings again and see if that says something different now, which it should. If the computer still has problems getting into the X GUI, chances are the driver isn't installed properly.

Let me know how it works out.

NOTE: In case you don't know, to open XF86Config as root (so you can save to /etc/X11) do the following.

If you are using KDE:
1. K Menu > System > File Manager > File Manager (Super User Mode)
2. Then use this to open the file, but be careful because this file manager gives you access to all your system files so don't go messing things up

Otherwise, just edit and save the file somewhere and:
1. Open up konsole
2. su
3. Type root password and hit enter
4. mv /path_where_you_saved_edited_file/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config
5. indicate that you want to overwrite the existing one
Audax321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 06:14 PM   #16
mikko1200

Thanks Audax321! I edited the XF86Config file, my system is still working ok. Except no 3D available. I have 7167 driver now.
mikko1200 is offline   Reply With Quote