Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-04, 03:37 AM   #1
pierrot

Default 6629, Linux and power management, last try

Hi,

I would like to know if the NVidia developpers really take care of power management (either S3 or S4) ? In the README.txt there is an appendix S dealing with power management, but the status is not clear (still considered as a beta feature). APM seems to be prefered, instead of ACPI, but as fas as I know many of the recent (or even less recent) laptop don't use APM anymore. If I remember NVidia (in its earlier driver versions) even said that APM was not supported by their chipset ?
I personnaly own a widely selled Dell laptop, with a NVidia chipset. It's been now 2 years that I desesperatly try to use power management features. It's been 2 years that I desesperatly check the NVidia site and drivers releases for power management, without success. I would have think that two years would have been enough for building a raisonnably stable driver but now I'm tired and feel that I will probably give up NVidia.

So, my first question is : is there anybody who manages to suspend and resume a NVidia chipset reliabily ? The only way I have to suspend and resume (S3 or S4) is to never load nvidia.ko.

My second question is : are NVidia developpers willing to support power management ? And if so are they ready to work with users/developers like me, with the help of some basic tools like bugtracker ?

It's a real pity to see that the driver works very well, for a very high number of chipset, with wonderfull OpenGL and comes with a strong instal program, but always miss some basic features ! Is there a laptop owner who think that power management is an advanced feature ???

I tried every "tricks" to suspend and resume a NVidia chipset, with almost all possible 2.4 and 2.6 kernels (with or without patch), from 1.0-4191, with APM or ACPI, with NVidia or Linux AGP, without AGP, with suspend to RAM or suspend to disk, with or without vt switching before suspending, etc. I just managed to broke several filesystems.

So, two years is enough. I am ready to work with NVidia developpers and other NVidia owners to help solving problems, but one thing is almost certain is that I will not buy a laptop with NVidia hardware the next time.
Finally I add that I am not a Linux newbie, and that my laptop suspend/resume fine without NVidia driver loaded : so I think that power management works great with Linux and the problem comes from NVidia.

You can also view this message at http://nvidia.1000wallpapers.com.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 05:43 AM   #2
chrismortimore

Default Re: 6629, Linux and power management, last try

you have to realise that power management is seriously hard to do, give them credit, because if you actually pay attention it is getting better, yeah it isn't reliable, but its getting there. ACPI in linux is generally shoddy anyway, because it is still new. if you are not happy with the power management support from the nvidia driver, use the nv driver. seriously dude, don't flog them like that because at least they are bothering their arse making decent drivers.
Old 11-07-04, 07:51 AM   #3
pierrot

Yes I agree, power management is hard to do : but there is a fact, almost all open source drivers have good or excellent power management. And is Linux ACPI support really a new thing ? It constantly evolves, yes, but it doesn't mean it is not reliable.
Honnestly I appreciate the efforts of NVidia : as I said in my previous post the driver in itself works very well and comes with a good installer. But too much is too much. It's been too long since the NVidia driver lacks PM.
NVidia is really missing something whith power management : they forget all peoples with laptop, and the laptop market is surely not a little market, IMHO.
Using the nv driver doesn't even solve the problem : it is better than the nvidia driver (on the PM feature) but unfortunately has never been very reliable, at least on my dell Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce4 440 Go. I even tried to use Xvnc as the main X server, and lauch a X server with vncviewer. But using the nvidia chipset after having resumed sooner or later lead to a system freeze. The only way to be safe is to never use the nvidia chipset (no nvidia module loaded, no X with nv). No matter 3d acceleration or not, I just don't want to use lynx to browse web pages !
A driver without power management is *not* a decent driver. Especially when it comes from (one of) the biggest (better) graphics chipset manufacturer.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-04, 09:17 AM   #4
patdouble

It works pretty good for me with 6629, kernel 2.6.9, software suspend 2.1.5, xorg 6.8.0, GeForce2 Go on a Dell Inspiron 8200.

My serious problem right now is that if I suspend out of my docking station, and then resume in the docking station, the CRT is not used. Unfortunately I cannot use the hot key because AFAIK it is only available on the laptop keyboard and not the external keyboard.

Is there any way in software to switch between DFP and CRT? I'd even write a scriplet for the hibernate script to detect the presence of a CRT and switch to it if it were possible. I looked through nvidia-settings but I saw nothing related to setting the active display.
patdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 04:56 PM   #5
andyrock

I just tried suspend to ram with 6629 and Suse ftp 9.2, and it worked perfectly!!

I cannot try suspend to disk cause i have a small swap partition (131MB) and 512MB of system memory.

Toshiba Satellite M30

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 03:10 AM   #6
biji

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrock
I just tried suspend to ram with 6629 and Suse ftp 9.2, and it worked perfectly!!
I can't make it work with mandrake 10.0 linux 2.6.10
waht do you use APM or ACPI?
biji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 05:40 PM   #7
GGtheMaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrock

I cannot try suspend to disk cause i have a small swap partition (131MB) and 512MB of system memory.

Toshiba Satellite M30
Hi Andy, I have a Toshiba M30 too, with Slackware 10.1, I have tried suspend to RAM, but... without success!
If nvidia driver is loaded the suspend doesn't start, and if nvidia driver is not loaded the suspend start, but after the screen doesn't turn on...

The suspend to disk works, but only when nvidia driver is not loaded.
I use the latest driver version (1.0-7167).

Excuse me for my poor English....

Bye
Luigi
GGtheMaD is offline   Reply With Quote