Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-04, 01:42 PM   #1
Dan@Linux

Default Init 3 no longer available after installation

On my SuSE 9.1 installation (Geforce 4 MX 420, Asus A7V8X-X Board) iīm experiencing the following problem after installation of the newest ( 6111 ) driver:
Runlevel 3 (network without X-Server ) is no longer usable if i start the system up on runlevel 5 (Network with X-Server). If I startup right to runlevel 3, thereīs no problems.
Once iīve switched to runlevel 5, the only thing i can see on virtual console (entered by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1) or after switching to runlevel 3 (using the console in kde ) is a lot of horizontal cyan-magenta-white stripes of 2 or 3 dots thickness. The system is running, I can shut down the system by typing the apropriate statements.
With the nv-driver loaded, everything is working.
Does anybody know a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-04, 05:25 PM   #2
d*.*b

Default Re: Init 3 no longer available after installation

quick fix: don't use framebuffer console, i.e. get rid of the vga=XXX in your bootloader line.

It has it's drawbacks though if you like a nice reso in your console...
d*.*b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 06:34 PM   #3
andyrock

Try to update your card bios, if asus provides it. It may (or not) fix the console restore problem.

--
1. Toshiba M30-742 | Centrino/Pentium-M 1700mhz | Geforce FX 5200Go
2. Celeron (Tualatin) 1400mhz | Geforce Ti 4800SE
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 05:26 AM   #4
rebel_yell

Hello,

I had the same problem while trying to put together a computer running SUSE 9.1. The video card is a GeForce 4 MX440SE. The nvidia driver is the 5336 version. When I tried to bring up the console from X, I would get a garbled screen instead of a login prompt. Also, I would get a flashing text screen instead of the Bootsplash image when I shutdown or rebooted from KDE. Since the Bootsplash uses a framebuffer driver to load the image and animation while the kernel starts and when it shuts down, I though that dealing with the framebuffer would solve the problem, but it didn't. I solved it with a nvidia driver command in XF86Config. I used "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT", since all I had was a CRT connection to a single monitor.

I don't recommend editing the XF86Config file directly, so to set this option in SUSE 9.1, enter the Control Panel, go to YaST2 modules >>> Hardware >>> Graphics Card and Monitor. Click Change, then double click on "Desktop", and select "Graphics Card". make sure that you are running the "nvidia" driver and not the "nv" driver. Underneath, click "Change configuration". Click on the properties of your card and go to the expert settings. Under card options, select "ConnectedMonitor". A box will appear -- enter CRT if your monitor is connected to the CRT port and it is the only monitor you intend to use. Save everything and reboot the computer. This should fix the problem; this is the first time I've experienced this. While I was in the expert settings, I also selected the "NoLogo" option. This stops the drawing of the nvidia logo on startup. It may have affected the problem as well, though that doesn't seem likely.

I hope I have gone into sufficient detail to solve your problem. Post a reply if you wish should it work or not work.
rebel_yell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 03:30 PM   #5
Dan@Linux

Thanx rebel yell for your marvelous hint. Itīs up and running now without any problems. You were right, itīs just one line in the Section "device" of the /etc/XF86Config file
(write
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "crt"
if you canīt use any "graphics card" dialog in your distro). And it solved the hole issue.
I didnīt know, that I can set the Card Options stuff that easy in the suse menu. Thanx for that hint too.
Regards
Old 03-10-05, 03:01 AM   #6
jdblick

This thread is the closest to describing my problem (the consoles are messed up). Unfortunately, my card isn't listed in sax2 so I can't really mess with values. Is my card listed in sax2 in 9.2? GeForce 4 MX 4000
jdblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 11:15 AM   #7
jberis

Thanks rebel_yell!

I joined this forums just so I could find a solution to this problem. Your excellent explanation solved it for me. Now I've got 3D AND usable consoles in runlevel 5!

Thank you,

Joop
jberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-05, 06:25 PM   #8
ct1drb

Hello to all.

Only to say that finaly I solved this problem, now I have consoles fine for use and only because of that simple command ConnectedMonitor "crt", a ton of thanks for your help.
ct1drb is offline   Reply With Quote