Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-05, 12:01 AM   #1
einy

Default Shrike Xwindows not starting with Nvidia 128

I hope this is not an old recurring thread, but i could not find anything related in this forum. I have installed Shrike on my Pentium 4 PC. The graphic installed didn't work so I used text based installer. The installer used a generic VGA driver and did not automatically identify my VGA card. After restarting, xwindows server did not restart with the Nvidia driver and when tries to restart with generic driver the screen flickers and flashes an error: Out of range...
How can I install a new driver from text based shell and where can I find the exact driver for my card? Is this a common problem or is there something wrong with my installation?

Thank you for your support...

P.S. I am new to the whole Linux experience, please be patient
einy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 03:49 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Shrike Xwindows not starting with Nvidia 128

First we need to know what gpu is on your videocard. I'm not sure if you mean it is a riva128 (that type won't work with the nvidia drivers) or perhaps some 128MB Geforce model (unsure what type then).
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-05, 12:00 PM   #3
energyman76b

Hi,

if you do not know, which hardware you have, log in as root (or make su - in a xterm/konsole/gterm) and do a lspci -v and post the results. That will be a lot of crap, but better than missing something. Oh, and please post your xorg.conf (in /etc/X11) and Xorg.0.log (in /var/log)
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 02:28 AM   #4
einy

It is a 128MB Geforce Model with a built in S-video out. I won't worry about the S-video if the normal RGB works. Now I can only start Linux in text mode... I do not have a floppy, the USB flash doesn't work on Linux and I have no internet connection on Linux either so I don't think I am able to fetch the files you asked for... If there is a specific info you are looking for in these files I can look them up and retype them... That's the best I can do. sorry
Can shrike read NTFS partitions by default? I will try that option first maybe I can copy the files to windows partitions and send them from windows !!!

Thanks for your assistance.
einy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-05, 08:27 AM   #5
energyman76b

Hi,
ok, please check that you have 'Load "glx"' in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Check also, that 'Load "dri"' and 'Load "GLcore"' is not there.
You should also add 'Load "ddc"' (everything so far in the Modules section).

Here is mine:
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
Load "ddc"
Load "v4l"
Load "bitmap"
EndSection

after that, scroll down, until you find your 'Driver' section.
Sadly the original confs are a little bit hard to read, but the part for your card should look like this:
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]" (this can be everything, let your phantasy have nice 5minutes)
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

you can savely remove everything else.

I attach my own config.

In /var/log you have a file named 'Xorg.0.log' (or XFree86.0.log, or .1.log). Please check this for Errors (starting with EE) and Warnings (starting with WW). You can do this easily in textmode with less. (/ for searching).

The Monitor section is a little bit tricky. You can use mine as guidance or try and trust ddc. In this cases you do not need modelines, only fitting resolutions. But you should also look for some documentation. If you have a modern monitor, ddc will you prevent from the worst (a dead monitor) but can you still leave with no picture ...
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (5.6 KB, 140 views)
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote