Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-05, 12:31 PM   #1
freelunch

Default Stable config with 2.6.11.5 kernel & AMD64?

I want to upgrade my gentoo system to the 2.6.11.5 kernel. Needless to say, the nvidia driver bombed when I tried (6800GT card).

I do see the miss-mash of patches I am supposed to install to "fix" this and I also see the dozens and dozens of postings reporting issues and problems (or success).. I really don't have time to wade through all that.

This is my primary desktop machine and any reboot or outage is a BIG deal. I just want my card to work reliably without a lot of hassle. It was already a major waste of time to move to 2.6.11.5 only to find the nvidia drivers broke and I had to roll everything back.

When will an updated driver be available? Why isn't there an updated driver available with the patches rolled in? I paid $400 for my card. Why must I patch?

Why aren't there bugfix releases that don't roll in new features, etc? The 7xxx release looks way too unstable/influx to mess with.

Yeah, it was fun playing Doom 3 and the card performance is outstanding but I need a card that 'just works' when I upgrade my kernel and emerge the latest nvidia driver. It seems that nvidia isn't there yet and may not be soon.

In summary: WHERE is the bug fixed nvidia driver that doesn't need patches?

Thanks!
freelunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 12:47 PM   #2
SuLinUX

Default Re: Stable config with 2.6.11.5 kernel & AMD64?

Looks like it's patching and it seems that nvidia dont talk to kernel developers much as all. The nvidia driver will always be broken by the kernel changes and there are three ways to get about this.

1. Patching

2. Open source the nvidia driver (not going to happen.

3. Nvidia release a Linux driver ALOT more regular or soon as the kernel breaks it(not much chance of that.

Nvidia really need to get there heads around this problem some how, but it seems asking for help from outside is not on the cards for now.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 01:49 PM   #3
Anthaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch
I paid $400 for my card. Why must I patch?
Because this is Linux. If you want to use an experimental kernel you're on your own.

And another thing: if rebooting you computer is sucha big deal (if it is mission-critical) don't use gentoo, use Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise.
Old 03-22-05, 01:52 PM   #4
Anthaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Nvidia really need to get there heads around this problem some how,
What problem?
I use a kernel-2.6.11.5-ac4-nitro2 and the nvidia drivers work without a hitch. But then again, I'm using a basic fedora kernel config with a few speed-up tweaks.
And I didn't have to patch the driver, btw.
Old 03-22-05, 04:50 PM   #5
freelunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthaus
Because this is Linux. If you want to use an experimental kernel you're on your own.
2.6.11.5 is the latest stable release.
Quote:
And another thing: if rebooting you computer is sucha big deal (if it is mission-critical) don't use gentoo, use Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise.
<clue>Upgrading the kernel on either of those releases will still require a reboot so your point is moot</clue>
Old 03-22-05, 04:59 PM   #6
freelunch

Quote:
What problem?
I use a kernel-2.6.11.5-ac4-nitro2 and..
My goal is to run a standard Linux kernel. That way, reporting any bug or issue doesn't immediately involve ruling out the non-standard kernel. I took a look at the nitro version and it is described as 'more experimental than a vanilla kernel'.

To put the question another way, what is the most recent standard Linux kernel (from kernel.org) that is supported by the the nvidia driver without any patches (kernel or nvidia)? Is there a support matrix anywhere?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-05, 01:46 AM   #7
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

I run a standard kernel (2.6.11.4) with a 6800GT and 64-bit Gentoo and everything works fine and dandy with the 7167 driver now. When I first installed the 7167 driver, I was getting signal 11's on X startup. After wiping all the old nVidia stuff out of my /usr directory (find /usr -iname '*nvidia*' -exec rm -f {} \, emerging nvidia-glx, and running opengl-update nvidia, everything works and I seem to have gotten a small performance boost.

On a side note, if you're *that* concerned about stability you should probably avoid installing the latest kernels and video drivers, even if they are deemed "stable." Wait for a few revisions for bugs to be shaken out.