Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-05, 10:14 PM   #1
silentplummet

Default With respect to RandR support,

Would it be too much to ask that RandR rotation settings be made consistent each time X starts? The windows drivers remember my settings so I wouldn't expect this to be too much of a problem here on linux. Why doesn't nvidia-settings 1.0 store this info?

Also, for some reason, on the rotated screen, fullscreen GL visuals look like they haven't been rotated properly, and are therefore cropped off one side or the other. A problem when xscreensaver activates. There are some possibly-related NVRM errors to this effect in the logs:

nvRMFreeSurface: operation failed (err = 30)
[repeated ~25 times]
silentplummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 01:25 PM   #2
silentplummet

Default Re: With respect to RandR support,

anyone?
Old 03-22-05, 04:17 PM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I'll need to check if there's a good reason why `nvidia-settings` doesn't currently remember the RandR rotation settings, but the functionality you request seems like a good improvement to me (for those inclined to help improve `nvidia-settings`, the source is available from the NVIDIA FTP server). For now, I guess you could run the `xrandr` utility from your ~/.xinitrc file to rotate the display at startup (e.g. `xrandr -o inverted`). As to the problem with full-screen OpenGL applications, I expect this is an application problem, but please submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 07:48 PM   #4
silentplummet

I had thought of the xrandr thing but I am using the "Two X Screens" method of multimonitor on my FX 5900.

Thus, I would have to specify xrandr -d x.y to make it rotate the correct display, but that -d option doesn't seem to work properly. I can't make it do anything useful.
Old 03-23-05, 01:14 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

But `nvidia-settings` adjusts the rotation settings correctly per X screen? I wouldn't expect it to behave differently, as it also uses libXRandr.so.2 (unless is `xrandr` is severely broken).
Old 03-23-05, 05:33 PM   #6
silentplummet

I should clarify.

1. Yes, nvidia-settings works correctly.

2. Running 'xrandr -o left' from an xterm on the desired x screen also works correctly. This is because DISPLAY=:0.n is exported to the environment automatically when an xterm is started on display n.

3. What you suggested is to add 'xrandr -o left' to .xinitrc, which is not called from a console on either of my two displays, and so I would have to explicitly give the display to rotate on the command.

Actually, my original post was completely mistaken. When I execute just xrandr from a console, it prints a list of possible modes and rotations. 'xrandr -d :0.1' seems to do nothing so I assumed it was broken. 'xrandr -d :0.1 -o left' actually has the desired effect, so for now I will use this as a workaround. Thank you very much!
Old 03-23-05, 05:43 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

That's good to hear; thanks for the clarification!