Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-05, 12:03 PM   #1
Tschortscho

Default How to install suse 9.2 64 bit without the driver

Hi,

my suse installation hangs up, because the geforce driver aren't included.
the instructions on nvidia-site explains just how to install the driver on a installation which already exits on the system.

But, how can i include the *.run-file on the suse installation-dvd or during the installation.

unfortunatly, i can just reach the textbased boot-menu (not the grafical) where i can't change the monitor resolution with F2 (or install suse in textmode and install the drivers afterwards)? After some time, the installation tries to get in grafical-mode and the display hangs up ("out of range"). I've already tried selveral displays. So i think it's the geforce-card.

THx Tschortscho

(from Germany)
Tschortscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 03:07 PM   #2
Charlie

Default Re: How to install suse 9.2 64 bit without the driver

Tschortscho
You do not say which card you have, but my GeForce MX4000 also does not have the proper driver included in my SuSE 9.1. My problem was not identical (black screen on login) but it may be solved in the same way.

If you are still having trouble, try selecting a driver for a simliar card - maybe a 2-D one from the SuSE SAX2 menu. I used the GeForce4 4200 Go & I seem to have full functionality - 1600x1200 @ 16million colours.

One complication is that I am running 32bit SuSE 9.1 on an AMD 64. That is because I was not sure how well the 64bit SuSE would be supported.

Had to rename the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o to prevent it from causing the black screen & use startx to get in & run SAX2.

I found the 'out-of-range' thing frustrating too. Got there in the end though.

Hope this helps,

Charlie.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-25-05 at 03:20 PM.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 09:12 AM   #3
Tschortscho

thx for your help, but your solution didn't work

i'm using the geforce 6600.

now, i've installed the suse 9.2 64 bit edition in textmode with no grafical interface.

i've downloaded the driver and tried the instructions of the nvidia-side.

whenever i try to install the driver with the command...

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629-pkg1.run -n

... i get the messages

Quote:
No precomiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel: would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the nvidia ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)?
unfortunately, i've still no network connection, to use this function...

Quote:
the kernle header file /lib/modules/2.6.8-24-default/build/include/linux/kernel.h does not exist. the most likely reason for this is that the kernel source path /lib/modules/2.6.8-24-default/build is incorrect please make sure you ha installed the kernel source files for your kernel; ...
the described files really doent exist on my system. I'm sure that i've installed the OS completely, because i've reinstalled it now the 10 time...

i've already tried several driver-version 71* and 66* (even the 32bit editions)

by the way, i am an linux-newbie. (need step by step explanations)
I just wanna have a running system...
Tschortscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:54 PM   #4
hollovoid7

just so ya know, the precompiled interface is basically a joke anymore, ive installed the driver on 8 different distros with kernels ranging from 2.4-to the latest 2.6.11 and not a one has had a precompiled interface download, and as for the kernel source code, I think with suse if you look through your package selection on install there is a kernel development package that you can select, only tried suse 9.2 once, so maybe someone else can give a more accurate description of where to get the kernel sources.
hollovoid7 is offline   Reply With Quote