Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-29-05, 06:35 AM   #1
agkwnsta

Question Sony vaio FS115M +linux?

I want to buy sony vaio FS115M and i want to install linux on it.This laptop has nvidia G force Go 6200 with Turbocache(128 MB) as graphic card and a friend told me that there might be a problem with linux's installation.Please tell me if you know something(in simple words,cause i don't know much about these issues...)
Thanks!
agkwnsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 07:06 AM   #2
rogue_fr

Default Re: Sony vaio FS115M +linux?

Hi

I just installed Linux on my new VAIO FS115M laptop and evrything went fine.
It was Ubuntu 5.04 preview www.ubuntu.com. The screen was detected correctly and evrything works out of the box. You get the nice ubuntu welcome screen.

However there is some kind of video corruption going on when you use the system for a while : some windows tend to display crazy rainbow strips. Switching to a text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and back to the X server (Ctrl+Alt+F7) gets things back to normal for a while, but this is very annoying and the system is clearly not usable but you can fix this easily :

You just install the latest NVIDIA proprietaty driver www.nvidia.com and every thing works fine. The video corruption is gone (and you get nice 3D so this is something you most certainly would have done anyway).
(This is very easy to do)

You can go ahead and buy this laptop it's the greatest laptop I've ever seen and linux works perfectly fine on it.

Thomas
rogue_fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 07:40 AM   #3
cmoad

Default Re: Sony vaio FS115M +linux?

I have a FS500 and everything works great in gentoo. Sleep is a little flaky, but I think that could be the story for all linux machines. Performance is great on these cards though.
cmoad is offline   Reply With Quote