Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-05, 07:04 AM   #13
ekloot1978

Default Re: Doesn't anyone make a 128bit memory PCI graphics card anymore?

oh, and which do you guys think would be faster anyways?...one of those refurbished ati 256MB 128bit 9250 pci cards or a geforce 5200 128bit pci card (if one could be found)?
ekloot1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:27 PM   #14
Baracade980

ekloot... since I have the same Jaton 5700le card mentioned earlier I ran a few tests as well. It seems I also got the 64bit card that says its 128bit from Newegg. Nothing I can do about it now, but did you and your friend at least try it in a game or two? I know for me it plays wonderfully in Halo, Half-life 2, and in Call of Duty, all with high settings. Oh well, I think you said he already returned them. Personally, I'd say go with Mehbody's suggestion and get a new motherboard, or save up. Deffinately get him to BUILD his own, I regret not building my own when I had the chance. I'm sure theres a book or two out there that could help. As far as which of the cards could be faster, I have no idea, but I remember ppl saying the 9250 was ok.
Baracade980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:00 PM   #15
ekloot1978

Baracade980,
Hello again...I remember talking with you when we tried to help out a guy named Bodomite who was in a similar situation. Did you install riva tuner to find out if that card was 64bit or did you run some memory bandwidth benchmark?...I found a good one but I can't remember the link right now...I have the link saved at home. My friend only has battlefield vietnam and he said that the game seemed a little more choppy than with his mx440 geforce with is 128bit I believe. At first I was thinking it might all be in his head but he said this before we found out the 5700Le was 64 bit. It seems kind of crappy that new egg is misinforming people. Jaton has just updated their own website with the correct information within the last week or two though so at least that's something. I'll definately try to convince him to save up and just build or buy a new system. I build my own computers so I can help him if he would be willing to go the non-storebought route. I think for now he doesn't want to spend much money at all and wait another year or so...which is why he is looking at some of those cheap 128bit refurbished radeon 9250 pci's to get by for now and then he can save the rest of the money and make a big upgrade at a later time. I hate this whole 128bit/64bit crap on the low end cards though. Between the million different model numbers, suffixes (se, le, xt, ect.), and memory games...its getting impossible for anyone to know exactly what they are buying these days...especially when they leave information off the box or spec sheet (such as memory bandwidth information). I appreciate all the help and info from everyone though.
Old 03-28-05, 09:29 PM   #16
Baracade980

I used the Riva Tuner like you mentioned above. Yes it turned out to be 64bit, after it said 128bit on newegg AND on the package! I was fairly annoyed as you can imagine. I looked at Jaton's site after seeing this thread and they don't list bits as far as I could tell (their site is also incomplete I think). I remember a long time ago someone found me a 5700LE with 256mb and 256bit but I can't recall the link now. But yes, this whole situation is quite annoying overall. But, I can't do anything about my situation now, maybe these guys will help u and your friend get a quality PCI card.
Baracade980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 01:50 AM   #17
ekloot1978

Yeah, hopefully my friend will end up with something decent so he can play games for now. There was a 128bit 256MB pci card from Inno3d...maybe that was the card you can't remember the link to? DrCR posed the link to that card a few posts back in this thread. That is probably the best option since everything else seems to be 64bit or slow...although that card is something like $149 so I'm not sure if it is worthit for my friend. I guess it all depends on how good of a system it is going into. My friend's system is kind of slow so that was part of the reason he is probably going to try to find something cheap...but still 128bit hopefully...since he'll probably have to upgrade in about a year or so anyways.
Old 03-31-05, 07:13 PM   #18
ekloot1978

Well, just to give everybody an update...my friend got that ati radeon 9250 256MB 128bit pci card. Right after he got it installed he started up battlefield vietnam and he couldn't believe how well it ran compared to the 64bit 5700LE and especially compared to the mx440 (big surprise there haha). We installed Riva tuner and it said the radeon was 128bit as well...as it should be. So far he seems pretty happy. Hopefully any other game he ends up buying will run fine too...but so far so good. Thanks to everyone for the help...and tell everyone to stay away from those 64bit cards!!
Old 04-01-05, 12:27 PM   #19
DrCR

Glad it worked out well for you!
DrCR is offline   Reply With Quote