Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-03, 08:07 AM   #13
cogumbreiro

You can alway try Alan Cox's branch of 2.4.20 kernel which is called 2.4.20-c2 check it on http://www.kernel.org and that guy is from Red Hat so maybe Red Hat has an rpm version of this kernel. Btw to compile a kernel is quite easy and nothing to be afraid to do, first try to find the "config" file related to your actual kernel or do a "make oldconfig && make dep" then do the following (all these commands are made in the /usr/src/linux and *after* you symlinked linux-2.4.20-ac2 to /usr/src/linux):
--actual code--
make xconfig (or "make menuconfig" if you don't have tcl/tk libs)
--end of actual code--
You might want to check if all the options are correct.
--actual code--
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.20-c2
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-c2
vi /etc/lilo.conf
--actual code ends--
Edit /etc/lilo.conf file and add the following entry in the end of the file:
--/etc/lilo.conf--
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-ac2
root = /dev/hda1 #Check your root if it's the same
label = Linux-2.4.20-ac2
read-only
--end of /etc/lilo.conf--
And that's it, not difficult at all, just try it
And one thing *don't* try to use NVAGP it *doesn't* and it will *never* work with via kt400 because via doesn't supports nvagp (at least with this chipset).
Cool Guy :P
Old 01-07-03, 10:41 AM   #14
Omnifarious
Linux User #149300

Send a message via AIM to Omnifarious Send a message via Yahoo to Omnifarious
Default Compiling my own kernel

I've done it many times. I used to put LVM into my kernel before it was there by default. It's just annoying and time consuming. I have better things to do with my time.

Now, since agpgart is a loadable module, I may consider pulling the agpgart code from some other kernel, compiling it against the current kernel sources, and replacing the standard agpgart module with my own. That's a little less painful than compiling a whole kernel by hand. I've been doing that with cipe, since RedHat has been reluctant to ship cipe 1.5.4 instead of 1.4.5.

And, as I said, I looked at the kernel sources from RedHat's beta Phoebe release, and they appear to have support for the KT400, so I'll wait for RedHat 8.1 (or maybe it will be 9.0).
Omnifarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 04:03 PM   #15
cogumbreiro

I tried to that and it didn't work, the agart from kernel 2.4.21-pre2 doesn't work with 2.4.19, Redhat 8.0 is still using 2.4.18 right?
But i must warn you that the kt400 support isn't fully correct because i tried kernel 2.4.21-pre3 (released today) and still doesn't recognizes apperture size of my GF4 MX440...
And i don't think kernel compiling takes that much of a time you let it compile you don't need to stare at it, you can do things in the meanwhile
Old 01-07-03, 04:49 PM   #16
Omnifarious
Linux User #149300

Send a message via AIM to Omnifarious Send a message via Yahoo to Omnifarious
Default Kernel compiles and time

It isn't the time spent compiling it. It's the time spent carefully going over all the options to make sure they're right, and the time spent to maintain on configuration and version management when RPM is no longer doing it for me.

The new RH will be using 2.4.20. Currently, it uses 2.4.18 plus lots of patches.
Omnifarious is offline   Reply With Quote