Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-05, 07:53 PM   #1
SquireSCA
Gun-Monkey

Default NVidia install on ubuntu 5.04?

Dudes, I so want to leave WinXP behind and migrate to Linux, and I have been trying to do just that for about 3 years. But something always pulls me back. Some hardware that is not supported, a bunch of games I cannot play, something I cannot get to work and I break the OS trying...

Suse 9.2 Pro has come the closest, I was actually able to take WinXP and my NTFS partitions off my main machine... But then I would install something and YAST would get borked, to where I could no longer install RPM files through YAST. Then things like Xine stopped playing DVD's, and reinstalling it and the libdvdcss file through the console did not help.

I tried Fedora Core 3, Core 4 and ubuntu.

Fedora, totally sucks because the multimedia is crippled. Ubuntu was less crippled, but I simply could not get the NVidia drivers installed, even witht he help of the ubuntu forum.

Also, Gnome apparently mounts drives differently than KDE. I saw all my drives on the first boot of Suse 9.2 using KDE. Using Gnome on Suse, Fedora(3&4) and Ubuntu, the boot drive was there but I could not mount the 250GB(ext3) SATA storage drive. Could not access it, but if I went into KDE it was there.

In ubuntu, I also could not enable DMA on my DVD drives, which is insane because what friggan drive today does not support or need DMA??? Stupid decision on the Linux teams for assuming that everyone who runs Linux has a 4x CDROM on a Pentium 90Mhz... Some things should be enabled by default, and messing up the system editing config files is retarded...

In any case, I am not giving up on this without a fight. Any Gnome guru's here? Anyone familiar with ubuntu and how to get the damned NVidia drivers for my 6800GT installed and set up?

Suse was easy, it was two commands and that was it, but I have yet to find another distro that doesn't take an act of Congress to set up and configure...
BFG 8800GT OC Edition
Gateway 24" LCD
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
74GB WD Raptor/400GB Seagate SATA
Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
Vista 64bit
SquireSCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 10:09 PM   #2
mrn

Default Re: NVidia install on ubuntu 5.04?

well if you add the non free repositories (I'm not gonna get into that now cuz it's 5:07am ) you can install nvidia-glx from there.

If you want the latest version:

download the latest version to your home directory
ctrl+alt+f1, login as your user
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo sh <file you downloaded>
*install as per instructions, should go fine*
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start ; exit

(the added ; exit will logout so you dont have a logged in root user, but isn't needed).
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 01:11 AM   #3
guyforget

I run Ubuntu, Ive read your thread on the Ubuntu forums (objective opinions or something like that).

NVIDIA drivers in Ubuntu are easy.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

restart X

thats about all it takes to install the drivers. If you want to edit your xorg.conf further there are alot of options you can add. It really isnt any harder than that. BUT - it doesnt mean that you wont run into the lockup bug that seems to plague alot of OS's and configurations.

enabling dma is as simple as opening a shell and running

sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx

(replace x for whatever drive you want to enable)
guyforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 08:16 PM   #4
SquireSCA
Gun-Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyforget
I run Ubuntu, Ive read your thread on the Ubuntu forums (objective opinions or something like that).

NVIDIA drivers in Ubuntu are easy.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

restart X

thats about all it takes to install the drivers. If you want to edit your xorg.conf further there are alot of options you can add. It really isnt any harder than that. BUT - it doesnt mean that you wont run into the lockup bug that seems to plague alot of OS's and configurations.

enabling dma is as simple as opening a shell and running

sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx

(replace x for whatever drive you want to enable)
Yeah, that was me in that forum. SOme of the guys were getting uset that I was frustrated and talking about Suse. But the bottom line is that if Suse can make these things easy, so can others, and if you want to go after the mainstream market, then going the way of Suse is probably a good idea.
BFG 8800GT OC Edition
Gateway 24" LCD
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Vista 64bit
Old 04-09-05, 11:28 AM   #5
guyforget

SuSe isnt my cup of tea, Im more of a Debian kinda guy so Ubuntu is right up my alley. SuSe 9.2 is probably the closest youre gonna find to "just works" right now though, and if youre scared of editing a few files then maybe you should stick with that. But, I find Ubuntu/Gnome to better suit my needs and other than this stupid nvidia/xorg freeze up bug everything on my system runs exactly how I want it to.

Did you manage to get the nvidia drivers working, as well as set DMA? Using the hdparm -d1 command will mean you need to do it after every boot but there are ways to set dma on at boot.
guyforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 02:12 PM   #6
SquireSCA
Gun-Monkey

What I want to know, is why isn't DMA enabled by default? I mean, who is still running a 60Mhz Pentium with a 2x CDROM? Nobody. 99.9% of Linux users need DMA enabled, so it should be on by default rather than force us to "fix" what the developers overlooked.
BFG 8800GT OC Edition
Gateway 24" LCD
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Vista 64bit
Old 04-09-05, 04:40 PM   #7
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireSCA
What I want to know, is why isn't DMA enabled by default? I mean, who is still running a 60Mhz Pentium with a 2x CDROM? Nobody. 99.9% of Linux users need DMA enabled, so it should be on by default rather than force us to "fix" what the developers overlooked.
DMA IS enabled by default.. maybe not on dvd drives, but then you can bet there's a good reason for it (it breaking certain pieces of hardware/chipset configurations for example).

Keep in mind DMA on windows is not default either, linux supports dma on WAY more chipsets than windows does (in windows you'd usually have to install a third party driver for for example the nforce chipset).
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 07:18 PM   #8
SquireSCA
Gun-Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn
DMA IS enabled by default.. maybe not on dvd drives, but then you can bet there's a good reason for it (it breaking certain pieces of hardware/chipset configurations for example).

Keep in mind DMA on windows is not default either, linux supports dma on WAY more chipsets than windows does (in windows you'd usually have to install a third party driver for for example the nforce chipset).
OK, I installed ubuntu alongside WinXP Pro this time, so that should I bork Linux, I have something to fall back on.

I installed ubuntu 5.04 official onto a 40GB partition on my 89GB SATA boot drive. I immediately patched the kernel to i686 SMP(latest) and rebooted into it. I then mounted my 250GB NTFS SATA storage drive by editing the fstab file, and mounted it as /media/storage.

Question #1 is, how do I get that mount point to show up in Gnome's "My Computer"? I can navigate to the drive with the file manager, but I cannot add an incon to that folder like the DVD, floppy and USB drives have.

Next, I installed the NVidia drivers through Apt-get, using the instructions on the unofficial ubuntu guide. WHen I run glxgears, here is the output:

dave@ubuntu:~$ glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.
dave@ubuntu:~$

I cannot figure it out. Everything looks set up properly, I edited that /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and changed the driver from "nv" to "nvidia", and same result. I restarted X, and I even rebooted the machine, but I cannot get that driver to take.

My last problem, is getting my DVD drives to use DMA. I cannot seem to figure it out and I have spent a couple hours poking around.

Three main problems, probably pretty easy to a Linux veteran, but I cannot seem to get it worked out. If I can get those three things, I think that the rest would be smooth sailing. I decided against Suse 9.3 and I am determined to make this work if it kills me.
BFG 8800GT OC Edition
Gateway 24" LCD
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Vista 64bit

Old 04-09-05, 07:44 PM   #9
SquireSCA
Gun-Monkey

Oh, and here was my attempt to enable DMA on my DVD drives:

dave@ubuntu:~$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)
dave@ubuntu:~$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)
dave@ubuntu:~$

See, this is the problem that I have with Linux. The simplest things take so much friggan effort, and this crap is what keeps Linux from appealing to the masses...
BFG 8800GT OC Edition
Gateway 24" LCD
Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD
Vista 64bit
Old 04-09-05, 09:56 PM   #10
Lithorus

Don't take the output of hdparm too seriously. Use the -I parameter instead eg. hdparm -I /dev/hda. It should tell you the correct current dma setting with a *.
Code:
 hdparm -I /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
        Model Number:       _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  1.0C
Standards:
        Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
        DRQ response: 3ms.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
About the nvidia binary driver working it would help a great deal if you attached the Xorg.log in here. There could be thousands of reasons as to why it's not working.

The thing about the drives in the Computer thngy just add "user" in fstab eg. :
Code:
/dev/sda4       /media/data2    vfat    rw,umask=0111,dmask=0000,user           0       0

Last edited by Lithorus; 04-09-05 at 10:13 PM.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote