Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-05, 04:43 PM   #1
nightlith

Default Mandrake 10.1 + FX5200 = Help?

Hi,

For the sake of feeding my masochistic side, I decided to dual boot my xp box with linux. Since I'm a noob, I went with Mandrake.

Being a windows wh0re I tend to follow a set list of things when I reinstall an OS: VIA drivers, Video Drivers, Sound Driver, Windows Update.

I'm assuming in Linux I don't need VIA drivers? So I move on to Video drivers.

I can't install them. At first I was getting an error I found help on. It required me to install the proper kernel source. Did that and ran the NVIDIA program thingie like it says in the read ("sh NVIDIAblahblah lots of stuff")

It moans about not finding the right kernel module and asks me if I want to build it. I say "OK go ahead" and it does. The little building progress bar runs across my screen until it wins at 100%....and then.... nothing. It stays at 100% and says "done."

So....what now? I left it for a couple hours and when I came back it still said "done." But there was nothing for me to do. No enter button, no Ok box. Nothing. cntr+c boots me to the shell and when I look at the .log it says "nvidia left KBUILD" or something. When I try to re-run the install it complains the the nvidia module is already loaded and if I suspect something went wrong, I should reboot. When I do that, it just starts all over agian, leaving me stuck at 100%.

What am I doing wrong?

(kernal 2.6.8.1-12mdk, same with the source)
nightlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 07:40 PM   #2
Redemption231

Send a message via MSN to Redemption231
Default Re: Mandrake 10.1 + FX5200 = Help?

make sure you have the kernel sources installed.

quick way from the console (as root): urpmi kernel-source
and say yes. then try it again.

note: it says to install the drivers without X running, and says to change the runlevel to 3 so on next boot you're in plain console. there's a much easier way.

do ctrl-alt-f1 (for example), login as root and type: init 3 <return>. it quits the X server and you can install freely.
Redemption231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 08:09 PM   #3
nightlith

Alright this is what I did.

After reaing and reading, I reinstalled Linux (complete format). Mandrake 10.1 official DVD release. Choose most all default options during install except minor config changes like location. Had it set to boot into KDE.

Upon entering KDE as the user (not root), I downloaded the latest nvdia driver for IA32 (I'm running AMD Sempron 2200). I then ran RPMdrake as Root and installed the proper source (2.6.8.1.1-12MDK). I then opened a terminal and su'd to root and ran init 3 as suggested.

I then "SH Nvidia*.run*" and it started the nvidia installer. I accepted, it complained about needed a kernel module and proceeded to build it. I am now staring at a black screen with a blue box in the middle with a green progress bar with the text "Done. 100%". I have been sitting at that screen for 3 hours now. What am I doing wrong?
nightlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 08:59 AM   #4
gonzo6111

I believe the next command is to setup you sax2. sax2 -m 0=nvidia that's to setup sax2 to enable the driver on bootup.IT will setup the drivers and your screen just follow it and when you done just finalize it and reboot.That's all i know on that part.
gonzo6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 04:55 PM   #5
Redemption231

Send a message via MSN to Redemption231

Sax is a SuSE command isn't it?
Old 04-09-05, 11:53 PM   #6
TurboI

It sounds like you have done everything right, but the installer is crashing. From a console, type "less /var/log/nvidia-installer.log" and look at the end of the file to see what the installer was doing when it crashed.

After you get the installer to work, you need to add the line

nvidia

to the end of /etc/modprobe.preload

and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf like the README on the website says. Also, it wil install the README at /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/ README. After that, type init 5 and you should see the nVidia logo and be good to go...
TurboI is offline   Reply With Quote