Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-01-03, 07:45 AM   #1
wan

Default Serious problem trying to ins0tall nvidia driver redhat 8.

Hi,
I posted a thread yesterday but thought i should send a more detailed problem description:

I have a laptop that uses the nvidia geforce4 420 go video card.

X windows totally fails to run on this card when I installed redhat 8.0.

I have looked through the forums and everyone else seems to have no problems building the kernel. There is a mention of header files but I checked in /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/build/include and there appeared to be a load of headers.
I also read that the failing to load could be that the headers are a different version to the kernel binaries...if so how would you find this out?

I ran the nvchooser.sh which told me to use
nvidia_glx-1.04191.i386.rpm
nvidia_kernel-1.0-4191.rh80up.i686.rpm

I also later dowloaded the tar files, but got the same error when running make install, or installing via rpm
which is:

size nvidia.o
text data bss dec hex filename
1248062 92760 32940 1373762 14f642 nvidia.o
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o will taint the kernel: on-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules

0: nvidia: no NVIDIA graphics adaptor found
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: no such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o :insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nividia.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: insmod nvidia failed
make: *** [package-install] Error 255

This does look like it coule be the header problems that have been mentioned but having never had to install linux 'til now I am unsure how obtain the correct headers (whether they are in the linux 8.0 cds) or how to tell which are the right ones!

Please help, I am thinking I will have to stick with XP!
Emma
wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-03, 06:08 PM   #2
mb[DK]

Send a message via ICQ to mb[DK]
Default Same problem

Hey I'd like to get in on this, i got an annoying problem too:

When I try to install I get this:

root@dreck - 00:19:14]$ rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
Forbereder... ########################################### [100%]
1:NVIDIA_kernel ########################################### [100%]
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R2eb93455
/lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.

/lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-19.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: insmod nvidia failed

Failed to install nvidia.o

fejl: %post(NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

>> Its always the same, no matter how I try to install it.
Im using red hat 8 with kernel version: 2.4.18-19.8.0
mb[DK] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-03, 03:57 AM   #3
wan

Thanks for this, does anyone have any ideas about this? Please!!!
Old 01-05-03, 10:55 AM   #4
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

I have never used the NVIDIA_kernel rpm for my systems whether i was on Mandrake or Redhat, but always the Nvidia kernel tarball. Call it superstition.

And I have _never_ had a problem installing the nvidia kernel module, since the first day these were available. So if it's a superstition, it's done well by me.

Based on that experience, I always think to myself the first thing to do is to make sure you are using the Nvidia _tarballs_. (Actually I installed the GLX files on this system by rpm -ivh --nodeps NVIDIA_glx_blahblahblah but that's the first time ever)

I installed the kernel module by tarball, as usual.

---------------------------------------

Do this:
#rpm -qa |grep kernel

this will list all installed kernel rpms. You should see

kernel-source-2.4.18-19.8.0
kernel-2.4.18-19.8.0

among some other stuff. This means you have the latest kernel for rh8.0 and the matching source. Just to be strict about it, you could do this too:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-19.8.0 /usr/src/linux

That creates a symbolic link to your latest kernel source. This symlink will need to be updated when you install any later kernel-source rpm.

untar the Nvidia_kernel tarball in /root .
#lsmod to check whether the nvidia module is already loaded. (# 'rmmod nvidia' if you see it).
cd into the NVIDIA_kernel_1.0.4.xxx directory you just created.
issue 'make install'

It should build and load into your kernel, with warnings about "taint". But lsmod shows it's there.
Now it's just a question of editting your working XF86Config. (make backup and call it something else, like /root/notXF86Config --an XF86Config in /root will be used by X if root issues a startx, so make sure your backup will not be confused with the current config file.) Installing the kernel module "by hand" does handle the entry in /etc/modules.cond for you --but you could always check just to make sure the appropriate line is there:
alias char-major-195 nvidia

If anything goofs up while installing the module, or if you subsequently compile or install a new kernel, you should 'make clean' in the NVIDIA_kernel directory and 'make install' again once you are using the new kernel. That means that it will be smoother for you to set the runlevel to 3 in /etc/inittab whenever you upgrade the kernel and are preparing to reboot to use the new kernel. (Otherwise you'll have your X display manager program repeatedly trying to start X up and failing which is unpleasant if harmless) Then remake the Nvidia module, see that it's inserted successfully, and change inittab back to boot into runlevel 5, if that's how you like to run your linux system.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 03:13 PM   #5
DustSmoke

don't install the tarballs unless you have to. They work fine don't get me wrong, but why do it when you can use a package and the src rpm's are sitting right there? Not to mention you have a package based distro. (it's easier in the long run, trust me) But for some reason the prebuilts for rh8 doesn't seem to be working for everybody, or anybody as far as i can tell. (i tried them once with the same problem you guys have, then i remembered why I never try installing the pre-builts.) src rpm's are your friend as long as the makers did a decent job making the spec file. But if they didn't, whatever they built for your specific distro is just as good as what you woulda made yourself. I guess this does bring up a good reason to sometimes use tarbals when all else fails. Expeically if you have problems with rpm's from places like freshrpms.net where they guy does his best making some other guys spec file. This is not the case with nvidia thou.

Just do it clean and easy. I responded with instructions specific to rh8 here. Maybe this will help?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=6009

Last edited by DustSmoke; 01-06-03 at 03:27 PM.
DustSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 08:44 PM   #6
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

"...for some reason the prebuilts for rh8 doesn't seem to be working for everybody, or anybody as far as i can tell."

And that is why I use the tarballs, at least for the kernel module, always.

'make install', 'make uninstall' and 'make clean' for the kernel module when upgrading kernels -- that's all I've ever had to do. And I've never had a problem.

I have been using Linux for 5 years, the nvidia binaries since the day they first came out, and I'll trust my own gut on things like this.
Old 01-06-03, 10:28 PM   #7
DustSmoke

If you have been using linux for so long, you should realize by now that rebuilding the src rpm's are essentually exactly what you are doing with tarbals, but not having to keep the source sitting around to 'make clean' or whatever.

I didn't tell you that you 'can't' use the tarballs, nor did i say there was anything wrong with them. But I don't know that we should be instagating future problems when people try to update.
DustSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 06:53 AM   #8
wan

Default VMWARE

I cant get tar rmp * to work, insmod fails whatever I do.

I am running it using VMWare, I am beginning to wonder whether this is the issue?
Windows XP is the host and Linux the guest.
There is no VMware documentation about this as far as I can see.

Anybody know anything about this?

Old 01-07-03, 09:14 AM   #9
Jeremy Bear

I too am having serious problems with the latest NVIDIA kernel tarball (NVIDIA_kernel_1.0_4191.tar.gz).

This is on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 with RedHat 8.0.

When I do "make install" I get:

> Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-4/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

> You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license and it has unresolved symbols.

(--global_cli, tqueue_lock, --global_save_flags,
--global_restore_flags, smp_num_cpus)

> Contact the module supplier for assistance, only they can help you.

Can someone from NVIDIA please advise?

P.S. I have also built rpms from the src.rpm files (as advised by DustSmoke in http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/sho...=&threadid=6009
) and it yields exactly the same "unresolved symbol" error...

Last edited by Jeremy Bear; 01-07-03 at 11:58 AM.
Jeremy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-03, 11:04 AM   #10
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Default Re: VMWARE

Quote:
Originally posted by wan
I cant get tar rmp * to work, insmod fails whatever I do.

I am running it using VMWare, I am beginning to wonder whether this is the issue?
Windows XP is the host and Linux the guest.
There is no VMware documentation about this as far as I can see.

Anybody know anything about this?
I don't know anything about it for certain, but I would be extremely surprised to learn that the nvidia modules will load under vmware.

Going the other way, with windows vmware-hosted on Linux it is not possible to run 3d games. The reason is that guest os runs in an emulated hardware environment. The nvidia driver touches the hardware directly (this is why Mandrake users, whose systems by default use riva framebuffer for virtual consoles, have so much trouble with the nvidia drivers --2 drivers, 1 hardware, is 1 set of drivers too many) . This seems like it should be impossible.
Old 01-09-03, 03:51 AM   #11
wan

Thanks JunkieClown,
with you information, I then read the manual properly (something I should have done way before writing to this forum) and installed linux again properly under VMWare. And it went totally smoothly. VMWare, I think simulates all the hardware and has its own X Server).

Thankyou,