Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-05, 02:41 PM   #1
dzeta

Default solved: Pavilion zv5000, Linux 2.6.11 x86_64, NV rel. 7174: black/out of synch screen

Configuration:
  1. HP Pavilion zv5000z
    • Geforce 440 Go
    • unknown WSXGA+ LCD (1680x1050)
  2. SuSE 9.1 x86_64 updated using apt4rpm and ftp.gwdg.de as repository

This solution worked with the 7174 release, but it solved a problem I had encountered with 6629, 7167 and 7174, so it might work for all of them.

The problem: out of synch screen when I tried to start the server. In layman terms, the screen went black or slowly switched between a few shades of dark grey. After killing the server (Ctrl + Alt +bkspc), the framebuffer was screwed up and it looked like an image that was de-interlaced both horizontally and vertically.

I read somewhere in these forums that the problem was that the driver (kernel module if you will) read a wrong EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). It seems that the LCD in this laptop provides incorrect EDID, so the module calculates the wrong timelines, which leads to the out of synch screen.

The solution: set the module option NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0.
In SuSE 9.1 (and later I assume), this can be done by appending the following line to the file /etc/modprobe.conf.local

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_Mobile=0 NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0
Make sure the module has been reloaded, then start the server.

I tested this solution against the 2.6.11-4 SuSE kernel (i.e. not the stock kernel !) and the driver worked flawlessly.

Summing it up: it seems the problem is caused by the monitor, which provides incorrect identification data. As taken from the module's source code documentation (os-registry.c):
Quote:
The SoftEDIDs registry key enables dynamic generation of an appropriateEDID for mobile LCD displays from data stored in the video BIOS. If this is turned off, then on mobile systems, a hardcoded EDID will be chosen from a table, based on the value of the Mobile registry key.
dzeta is offline   Reply With Quote