Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-04, 09:32 PM   #1
PxScott

Default ACPI Support

First of all, let me say kudos to NVidia for their support of Linux. The drivers work great for me in all but one area, ACPI. I run Linux on my laptop, so the ability to suspend in some form is very important to me. While the 6106 driver tends to crash more cleanly than its predecessor, I have not been able to get ACPI to work in any form with the NVidia kernel module loaded.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 8600 with the NVidia GeForce GO 5200 and Gentoo Linux.

Here is a summary of my problems with each ACPI State

1 (Standby):
I can enter this state fine, but when I come back from it, the screen in blank and won't come back on. I can't find convincing evidence that my system is actually returning from the sleep state. This occurs regardless of whether the NVidia kernel module is loaded.

3 (Suspend):
Very similar to my problems with state 1: I can enter it fine, but my screen is blank when I return from it. However, I do know that my system is actually running with a blank screen, because I can hit up and enter (previous command in bash) and return to the sleep state. If I try to switch to X and come back, up and enter doesn't seem to work. I still can, however, run shutdown now through acpid by pressing the power button. Again, this happens with or without the kernel module loaded.

4 (Software Suspend):
I know this mode is not actually supported by the driver, however it does handle it better the 5336. After doing some hacking with the kernel interface code, I was able to disable the "unknown power state 4" message. This seems to get me to where I am with the other two states. It shuts down fine, but the screen blanks upon restart. I tride some more hacking by throwing a "return 0;" i the middle of the power management function, effecitivly telling the module not to respond to any acpi events. This got software suspend almost fully working (somewhat to my surprise). I could "echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and shut down fine, restart and get back to the console fine. However, when I tried to return to X, the screen was on, but black and the system was frozen. Again, I could still shutdown through acpid.

I think there is some kind of problem with the way the card works on Dell laptops (or maybe on laptops in general). I am assuming this because I have heard of people getting some ACPI states to work with NVidia, and i have only heard of similar problems on Dell laptops.

So, I guess my questions are:

* Is NVidia aware of this screen staying blank problem, and are they planning to fix it at some point?

* If the screen blanking problem is independent or the other ACPI issues (which is suggested by the fact that it exists with or without the kernel module being loaded), then would the attempts at getting software suspend working be effective on antoher system.

If someone wants to try the software suspend hacks, here is how:

* run the "sh nvdia***.run -x"
* go to the usr/srv/nv directory and edit nv.c
* go to the switch statement on line 3675

To make state 4 work like state 3:

switch (state)
{
case 4: /* Add this line */
case PM_SAVE_STATE:

To make state 4 do nothing, but not return an error:

switch (state)
{
case 4: /* Add this line */
return 0; /* This one too */
case PM_SVAE_STATE:

To disable responses to ACPI events:

return 0; /* Add this line */
switch (state)
{
case PM_SVAE_STATE:

If anyone wants to try, please post your results.
PxScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 05:09 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: ACPI Support

Please send this description along with the nvidia-bug-reports.sh log file to linux-bugs@nvidia.com; btw, have you tried to suspend/resume from within X, rather than from a different VT?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 01:10 PM   #3
mini

I have an Inspiron 8200 w/ a GeForce4 440Go and I see similar effects using kernel 2.6.7. The screen is blank on resume (after suspending with "echo mem > /sys/power/state"), both in a terminal and X. Someone recommended trying a VT switch or the CRT/LCD switch button, but that does not help. I can't seem to get any response from the system, but I'm not sure yet if it is dead or if the screen is only blank. I have not tried Suspend to disk.

Was hoping to finally start using a 2.6 kernel, but I'll have to stay by 2.4 and APM :-)

Last edited by mini; 07-04-04 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added HW info
mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 01:44 PM   #4
mini

Tried typing "reboot" into the blank screen, and it did indeed work, so it's only the screen.
Old 07-04-04, 02:03 PM   #5
pyrrhus

I have had problems similar to the original poster's. I have a Dell 8500 (almost the exact same computer as the 8600) with a Geforce 4200 Go on FC2 and have been trying to get the sleep states working for almost a year now. This is what I have found:

1 (Standby):
This state actually worked out of the box on Fedora Core 2 (with custom kernel and acpi patches for 2.6.6), but the screen did not actually turn off. This was a problem because the screen uses a lot of power and I was seeing almost no power saving. After searching the internet for a few weeks I found that someone had figured out how to flip a couple bits in the Nvidia driver memory to shut off the backlight and the LCD display (I know this doesn't sound too safe considering we really don't understand what it is that we are changing, but it has worked perfectly for a couple months now).

3 (Suspend):
This state has given me the most trouble. The only kernel that I can get to get consistently suspend is 2.6.6 with the acpi patches, but the screen does not return. I know the computer is fully functional because you can ssh in and check that everything is running fine, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to get the screen back. I have done a considerable amount of research into why this is happening and it seems that the video card must be reinitialized, but this is not happening (the kernel documentation in Documentation/power/video.txt does a much better job of explaining this).

These are the only states that I’m interested in (actually I only want S3). So I guess there are two things I’m looking for from Nvidia:

1. A program that allows you to turn on and off the backlight and LCD display (If someone was able to figure this out without the source, this should be pretty easy to do)

2. A way to reinitialize the video card after it has been powered down for S3.

Just about everyone with 8500 or 8600 seem to be having this same problem.
pyrrhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-04, 08:06 PM   #6
PxScott

Just wanted to add something I just noticed. After entering sleep mode 3, the screen turns completely off. When returning from the sleep mode to a VT, the screen stays completely off, but the system does actually come back on. At this point, if I try to enter X, the screen does come back on, but comes on to a completely black image. This is the same thing you see for a second before you switch into X normally. However, it seems that before X finishes coming up, the system crashes. This suggests that the problem is in the NVidia driver, and not in the bios (since the screen does come back on). The next step would be to try the same process with a different X driver (such as vesa) and see if anything changes. I will try sometime in the next day or so and post the results.

Edit:

Just tried it with vesa. The screen remains completely off, and the system still crashes. So, it seems the NVidia driver is doing some good, just not enough to be useful.
PxScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-04, 01:51 PM   #7
dicer42

I'm using SuSE 9.1 and the latest nvidia drivers (1.0-6106). This is what I experienced so far:

On my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Go440 I can enter the standby state, but when coming back the screen is also completly black/off. Just like all previous posters experience.

I did the suspend from a console, while an X Session was running in the background (so not from within X).

I got the backlight on again with the following:

init 3
init 5

This restarts the X Server and I get to the login dialog. Good so far, but all consoles except 7 (where the X server is running) are still not accesible. The screen isn't off, just black.

Btw: I'm running NvAGP, not agpgart

Felix
dicer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 02:16 PM   #8
RUok

I have been unable to even get the intial suspend to work. I have the same Inspiron 8600 as the initial post, and running 2.6.7 kernel with 6106 driver under debian/unstable.

When I echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep, it goes to a VT and then a couple of seconds later, returns to X, never suspending. Here is a dmesg after it returned to X:

Stopping tasks: ================================================== ==============================================|
Freeing memory: ........|
NVRM: unknown acpi event: 4
Could not suspend device 0000:01:00.0: error -1
PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:03.0 (0000 -> 0002)
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 84 ms
Restarting tasks... done
b44: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
b44: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

When I try echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep, I get the exact same affect as echo 4, but differnt dmesg logs.

PM: Preparing system for suspend
Stopping tasks: ================================================== ==============================================|
NVRM: RmPowerManagement: 3
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to 64
Could not suspend device 0000:00:1d.7: error -5
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:1f.5 (0000 -> 0003)
i810_audio: Primary codec has ID 0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7650 (Unknown)
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.6 to 64
NVRM: RmPowerManagement: 4
PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:03.0 (0000 -> 0002)
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 84 ms
Restarting tasks... done
b44: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
b44: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.

What do I need to do to get the initial suspend to work?

Thanks!
RUok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-04, 05:23 AM   #9
chrismortimore

This is where I swing in to save the day. There is a program called "postvga" (I'll find the link and post it later) that kicks your screen into life. I use the dell i8600 with the nvidia fx go5200, and this is how I solve my problem. The only downside is it garbages up the consoles, X works fine though. However, I realised that if I optimized my startup then there was no point suspending, cause I can startup the computer bloody fast :P I'll go find the link now
Old 07-17-04, 05:24 AM   #10
chrismortimore

http://data.plan9.de/postvga.bz2

Its just the executable, so extract and run and laugh as your terminal goes really really strange. If anyone knows how to fix it (tried "reset" and various "setterm" commands) then let me know :P
Old 04-12-05, 03:49 AM   #11
mini

ACPI suspend (mem) works on my Dell Inspiron 8200 with 7174 drivers! See my new post on the topic.