Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-05, 01:13 AM   #13
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero
Default Re: HELP! Performance (Doom3-and ROE in XP-SCSI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcide
Hey 99 to Life what is the syntax of the purgeall command? Ill give that a whack...
I'd like to see that as well. I'm getting the split mili-second door pause even on High Quality. Didn't happen on the original.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 12:19 PM   #14
Tcide

Send a message via AIM to Tcide Send a message via Yahoo to Tcide

ok, I think I found it, com_purgeAll 1 , seems to help some, especially after I die and the level Im playing reloads, then its almost flawless... im going to reinstall Suse on my box too, Im curious to see if the same holds true for Linux on my box with doom3-ROE
Tcide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 08:28 PM   #15
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcide
I have an Asus a8n-SLI deluxe mobo that currently has an Athlon64 3800+ (939 pin) 1 Leadtek PCI-E Geforce 6800GT installed (nvidia driver 71.84) 1gb Corsair PC3200-cas2 Platinum series ram, an 18.4g Quantum Atlus Ultra160 SCSI hard drive(C) OS installed on it, 3 36gb Seagate Cheetah Ultra 320 SCSI hard drives in raid0(D) and a Maxtor 160gb IDE drive(E) on an LSI Logic 21320-r U320 SCSI controller. The page file is on the array as is Doom3 and ROE. I am running the game in ultra quality, 1024x768 2x antialiasing, and the framerate is killer, except when the game is obviously caching (which seems to be most of the time) I does not appear to be an issue with the video card, but possibly the harddisk settings and or cache. I have tried many XP and Doom3 cache tweaks, I am running all of my hardware overclocked modestly, and this problem seems to be getting worse. All of my other games run beautifully, and 3dmark 2005 gives me a score of 5,664...what is the deal?? I love the Doom engine, and I feel it is superior to everything else out there, and I would really like to have it running smooth. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post, trying to cram as much info as possible..

Do you have a D3 load up with an application specific profile from your forcewares? Doing that killed my frames, I had to go back to global driver settings.

Also make sure you have selected a single display adapter, if you've got 2 monitors set up it'll kill your frames.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 04:26 PM   #16
AngelGraves13

I was getting bad performance with it set to High Quality (nvidia control panel) Doom 3 at ultra, so I set the nvidia CP to quality and enabled all their optimizations and set Doom 3 to use 2XAA and now it runs smooth.

And the command is com_purgeall 1 and it seems to dump all the data from previous levels out of memory to free it up for the current level, or something along those lines.

Another useless command in Doom 3 that you can disable is s_playdefaultsound. Set it to 0, as the description for it says "play a beep for missing sound files." There's always something missing or not found if you have the console enabled, the warning messages show up there. Setting s_playdefaultsound to 0 gets rid of annoying beeps. There's usually 1 beep per level. Some levels don't have warnings or misiing files. Guess it needs to be patched.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-05, 05:26 PM   #17
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

My performance sucked in places, like in the intro when the portal first opens. The first boss also brought the framerate down to a crawl. All was fixed by installing the 76.44 drivers (I was still using 6-something before). Now my new problem is that the sound cuts out after a couple of minutes when using surround-sound.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote