Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-05, 06:58 PM   #1
linuxoid

Default Howto install 64-bit Suse 9.2 Pro on AMD64 and nVidia 6600GT

Just a quick note that this procedure worked for me, some steps may be unnecessary or I could have done more, but that's for the experts to decide. What I got at the end is a nearly stable system. It needs intensive care but at least it's breathing. It works fine with one user logged in. But if I log in as a second user (eg. root), the mouse cursor erases everything it points at. When I close the second session, the first user works fine again. Occasionally it boots and the monitor outputs heaps of color garbage and freezes as it did before, but so far it only happened once. This is only to get you started, a lot of work will be required after that to refine and fine tune the system

My hardware:
AMD64 3200+ S939
Asus A8N-SLI (standard)
Asus EN6600GT-TD128
Seagate SATA 250GB
Pioneer DVR-109
LG 17" Studioworks CRT

Problem:
When installing 64-bit Suse 9.2 Pro from DVD, installation freezes when trying to load YAST or X-server, all hardware seems to be detected and working correctly incl. SATA HDD.

To be absolutely sure, make a new clean 64-bit Suse install in text mode. Only install minimum packages necessary for it to work and install faster: X graphical system, KDE, Documentation, C++ and stuff, Development incl. kernel sources. You can install everything else later.

Have a copy of the nVidia drivers from the nVidia web site www.nvidia.com:
NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2.run

Note the nVidia 7174 driver never worked for some reason even though it's newer than 7167!

After the installation, boot the system in Safe mode!

login: root
password: root_password
#> init 3
#> cd /usr/src/linux
#> make cloneconfig
#> make prepare-all
#> cd /drivers_folder (folder where the nforce and nvidia drivers are)
#> sh NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1.0-0301-pkg1.run (and follow the prompts)
#> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7167-pkg2.run (and follow the prompts)

It complained about my kernell and system instability but I've installed it anyway because I didn't have any other choice. Well, this may be the reason why the system is not fully stable. Anyway

#> cd /etc/X11

Now I edited the xorg.conf file. I like MC more than any other editor, it's the same as the old-days Norton Commander. But you can use any editor you like. So

#> mc

Scroll down to xorg.conf and press F4 to edit it. I've changed the HF and VF for the monitor to 30-70 and 50-160 respectively, then changed the "nv" driver to "nvidia". That was it. Press F2 to save it and F10 to quit the editor and again F10 to quit MC. Then

#> modprobe nvidia
#> sax2 -m 0=nvidia

And there you are! It should show the display configuration. Change the monitor to your model if you can find it in the list. It never detected my monitor correctly and I couldn't find it in the list anyway, so I've selected VESA 1024x768@85 and that's it! Then reboot. The nVidia splash screen should pop up and then KDE and the rest is up to you...

Good luck!

PS. If you know how to do this better please let us know.
linuxoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 07:46 AM   #2
kalior

Default Re: Howto install 64-bit Suse 9.2 Pro on AMD64 and nVidia 6600GT

read the howto given by NVIDIA it is good !!!
I use it and after my install was OK.

But may be i have luck
Kalior
kalior is offline   Reply With Quote