Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-05, 04:39 PM   #1
themystic

Unhappy System crash with nvidia drivers

Hello,

I"m a new linux user running slack 10.1 with the kernel 2.4.29. I have a GeForce 4 TI 4200 card with 64 MB of ram. I've installed the latest (1.0-7174) driver on my system but when ever I start xdm or kdm I get a complete system crash (I can't even change caps lock, much less do anything constructive like get a log readout) and I must physically restart. I don't know whether it can be a poor xorg.conf file or not but I've attached it anyway.

I don't know what to do and am hoping that someone can give me some advice.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (15.8 KB, 187 views)
themystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 12:30 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: System crash with nvidia drivers

Eliminate some factors. Switch to the "nv" driver - does it still crash? modprobe the kernel module manually - does it crash?

When it crashes use magic keys* to sync and unmount disks - which may also provide some clues in the logs (/vag/log/).

* http://aplawrence.com/Words2005/2005_04_13.html
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 01:17 PM   #3
themystic

I've switched to "nv" for my driver and X no longer dies (KDM no longer works for some reason (when I try to login with it no window manager - not even failsafe - will start and I'm kicked back to the login screen. GDM works fine, however). With the nv driver XFCE gives me a lot more options for changing my display but I still can't get a resolution above 1024x768 (just like VESA).

I don't have magic keys enabled and don't know how to configure my kernel to enable them.

What should I do now?
Old 04-28-05, 01:31 PM   #4
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by themystic
With the nv driver XFCE gives me a lot more options for changing my display but I still can't get a resolution above 1024x768 (just like VESA).
"HorizSync 31.5 - 50.0" (Section "Monitor") is too low...
you _can_ try "HorizSync 31.5 - 70.0" or even higher, but be careful you _may_ damage your screen...
(look in your monitor's manual, for the proper values)

please add next time XFree86's log (/var/log/XFree86.*.log)...
or run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the created log.
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 05:37 PM   #5
themystic

Thanks for your help, I looked up my monitor's values and now I have my resolution set to 1280x1024 . But the nvidia driver problem still exists .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
please add next time XFree86's log (/var/log/XFree86.*.log)...
or run nvidia-bug-report.sh and attach the created log.
I haven't run the nvidia-bug-report.sh because if I start x with the "nvidia" driver then I get a total system crash and am unable to do anything. Attached is are log files I found after the above desribed crash.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.old.txt (52.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (10.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 04-28-05, 06:00 PM   #6
themystic

A weird problem has also come up... I mentioned in a post that KDM had stopped working, this needs to be amended to the first session manager (KDM/GDM/XDM) does not work however if I start with KDM (and it does not work) then I login as root (at TTY2 or some such) and start GDM then (after the standard (?) errors messages saying that screen one is busy and that GDM will start another screen) I can login no problem. If I switch KDM and GDM around it does not work, GDM must be the second manager and the first one has to be not GDM (can't have two instantces running at once).

This happens no matter whether I start at run level 3 or 4.

Attached is the .xsession-errors file that GDM creates when I can't login.

What the heck is going on?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xsession-errors.txt (27.1 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by themystic; 04-28-05 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some details