Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-05, 09:13 AM   #1
NickElm

Default NVidia module install problems for Geforce 6600 on a dual Xeon system

(Hopefully this question has not been asked previously--I've desperately searched these forums for similar problems, but have not found anything directly pertaining to my problem. If I have missed something, please direct me to the relevant thread.)

Anyway, I'm having problems installing the NVidia Linux drivers on my new machine. I'm running on a dual-processor Intel Xeon system with a Geforce 6600 (128Mb). The machine has Debian 3.1 (testing?) installed. I'm not exactly sure what you need in terms of system specs, so tell me if I am missing something below:

2 x Intel Xeon DP 3.0 GHz
Geforce 6600 128 MB PCI-E
1 GB DDR RAM
Intel E7525 chipset / Intel SE7525GP2 ATX PCI motherboard (FSB 800MHz)

I've compiled the newest 2.6.11.8 kernel (with SMP support) and made it work properly. The module compiles properly and everything, but it refuses to be insmod:ed. I was hoping that the newest kernel would solve my problems, but no luck. Below is the pertinent error message:
Code:
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 169
NVRM: This IO region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid:
NVRM: BAR1 is 0M @ 0x00000000 (PCI:0003:00.0)
NVRM: The system BIOS may have misconfigured your graphics card.
nvidia: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -1
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
The system BIOS does not let me configure the graphics card in any way, so there's nothing I can do about that (AFAIK).

I have also attached the nvidia-installer.log file and the "lspci -v" output to this message. Please tell me if you need any additional information.

I'm getting slightly desperate here, so any input is more than welcome! Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.txt (19.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: txt lspci.txt (5.5 KB, 159 views)
NickElm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 12:58 PM   #2
graphos

Question Driver won't load - Invalid IO address

Hi all,

I'm having quite a tricky problem nobody seems to have encountered before (according to google). Basically, when I try to load the graphics driver (1.0-7174) it gives me the following error in dmesg:

NVRM: This IO region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid:
NVRM: BAR1 is 0M @ 0x00000000 (PCI:0003:00.0)
NVRM: The system BIOS may have misconfigured your graphics card.
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!

On the command line I get: Invalid device

The system is a bit unconventional:

Quadro FX1400 PCI Express
Dual Intel Xeon EM64T (i.e., 64 bit)

I get the same error on various distros running 64 or 32 bit kernels. I've tried:

Fedora 1 kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl.i686.rpm
Fedora 4 test kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.1226_FC4.x86_64.rpm
and kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.1226_FC4.i686.rpm

In addition Suse 9.3 and the current Debian seem to have the same problem.

I tried playing around with some of the pci options, but it didn't seem to have any effect. So at the moment, I'm stumped.

Thanks for any suggestions

Graphos
graphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 03:09 AM   #3
NickElm

Default Re: Driver won't load - Invalid IO address

I have a similar problem; at least the error message on insmod:ing the NVidia module is the same: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49981

My machine is a dual Xeon one, but I don't think it's a 64-bit machine though.

Regardless, I'm also waiting for help on how to solve my problem.
Old 05-03-05, 04:43 AM   #4
graphos

Default Re: Driver won't load - Invalid IO address

I just tried it with an GeForce FX PCI Express. Same problem.
Old 05-03-05, 07:20 AM   #5
Thunderbird

Default Re: NVidia module install problems for Geforce 6600 on a dual Xeon system

As there were two topics about the same subject I have merged them.

Myself I don't know what the exact issue is. Useally there's some option in bioses to set the type of operation system. This option can then be set to PnP in case the OS sets up irqs and memory and to non-PnP in case the bios does the stuff if I'm correct. Perhaps playing with this option helps. (setting it to non-PnP as PnP is the default as most pcs ship with windows)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 08:46 AM   #6
NickElm

Default Re: NVidia module install problems for Geforce 6600 on a dual Xeon system

Thanks for your reply, this sounds like it is on the right track. However, the BIOS on my motherboard (Intel SE7525GP2) has no settings for PnP. I have even upgraded it to the newest version (released on April 15th). Is there a way to handle this anyway?
Old 05-03-05, 10:22 AM   #7
NickElm

Just a little update about the research I've conducted so far--it seems that since my machine is a ACPI multiprocessor one, none of those old hardcoded IRQ settings nor Plug-and-Play settings are applicable anymore. Instead, the BIOS gives ACPI full control of the IRQs, allowing the operating system to twiddle them around at will. This is supposedly done to prevent IRQ conflicts. However, there is something about my hardware that the Linux kernel doesn't seem to understand. I'm going to go back and recompile my kernel, making sure all ACPI settings are enabled.

Anyone know if the "IRQ balancing" settings mentioned in the kernel config will have an impact?
Old 05-03-05, 11:07 AM   #8
NickElm

And another update--sorry if I'm being repetitive, but this is annoying me to no end.

I've recompiled the kernel with all settings careful configured to support PnP ACPI and PCI Express, but to no avail. The kernel module still refuses to be insmod:ed with the same error message as before.

However, I took a closer look at my dmesg output, and found the following culprit:
Code:
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 0000:00:1f.1
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 0000:03:00.0
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for bridge 0000:00:04.0
[...]
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #1:0@0 for 0000:03:00.0
The PCI driver goes on to tell me that ACPI PnP is active, and just to make sure, I tried passing "pci=routeirq" to the kernel upon booting according to the instructions, but this did not change anything either.

Could this be something that is still not supported in the Linux kernel?

Old 05-03-05, 12:08 PM   #9
Thunderbird

I'm looking on google for more information already found one interesting thread about this subject to which Terrence Ripperda (a nvidia guy) replied: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...02.3/0231.html

In case of a 64bit cpu used on a 32bit kernel the issue seems that both the videocard and the bios chose to use 64bit. (the bios allocated a 64bit pci config space and the videocard advertises 64bit support) The problem then is that the linux pci driver doesn't support this situation and hence the bugs. This doesn't explain the issue under a 64bit kernel I think.
Will look for more.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 01:04 PM   #10
graphos

I didn't mention it before, but I also have the SE7525GP2 Motherboard. I've performed a Bios update to version P07 which doesn't help.

Cheers
Old 05-04-05, 03:40 AM   #11
NickElm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
I'm looking on google for more information already found one interesting thread about this subject to which Terrence Ripperda (a nvidia guy) replied: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...02.3/0231.html
Ahh, yes, thanks. I'm going to have a look at the -mm branch to see if Andrew Morton has any solution for this, will give updates when I find out more. It hurts to be on the bleeding edge...
Old 05-04-05, 06:32 AM   #12
Mr-Ed

Hi,

I myself am a dual xeon with em64t owner, with a pci-e 6600GT, but i can't say i've encountered any of your probs u r mentioning. The only diff i can find is the mainboard u r using, but i can't say which one i'm using (i'm at work right now :-P).

But as u use the same hardware and sort of the same kernel-versions, could u post your .config (kernel-opts), so i could compare your .config with mine... This way we could rule out kernel-opts for you!

As for 32-bit versus 64-bit: had both on my system and also never had any troubles bout my kernel not booting my nvidia-module... Also make sure u use 32-bit nvidia-installer for 32-bit kernel and 64-bit nvidia-installer for a 64-bit kernel (Sounds noobish, but some ppl tend to forget that!)

One warning though: the 7174-drivers don't work too well with em64t AND 6600GT pci-e in glx-mode (there's another thread in this forum bout that), but reverting to 6629 seems to do the trick for now :-D.

Greets, Mr-Ed

[Edit:] Also make sure u disable AGPGART in your kernel AND DRI!!! This is pci-e and doesn't use agp at all! Plus, try to do a nvidia-bug-report.sh if u can (maybe chrooting into your box with 7174-drivers installed and then run the program)

Last edited by Mr-Ed; 05-04-05 at 06:49 AM.
Mr-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote