Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-05, 03:43 AM   #13
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Default Re: Xbox360's ATI Xenos GPU has more transistors (332M) than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU (30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
Sony's much better at hype than Microsoft, they were last generation and we all know whose machine is more powerful.
The XBOX came out like a year or more after the PS2! I dont think anyone thought for a second that the XBOX would be less powerful than PS2. They might have thought it would be closer, and everyone said that XBOX was a PC-in-a-console-case so it wouldnt utilise its superior specs as well, but I dont think anyone thought it would be less powerful.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 04:40 AM   #14
|MaguS|

Default Re: Xbox360's ATI Xenos GPU has more transistors (332M) than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU (300M)

The article is complete BS... as for the power of the systems... I talked to the XDR guys at Rambus during E3 (bored Jakup in the process), They claim the PS3 has the edge even with the 360 having the EDRAM due to the PS3 having a dedicated bus for its GPU while the 360s GPU needs to share the bus with the CPU when accessing the RAM.

BTW Developers are also saying that the PS3 is easier to develop for then the 360...
Old 05-22-05, 05:08 AM   #15
retsam

Default Re: Xbox360's ATI Xenos GPU has more transistors (332M) than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU (30

we dont even know how many of those transisters are redundant, cache and just plain broken.... this is a really lame argument.... the devolpers have spoken ...these are the guys in the know ...end of story
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 11:14 AM   #16
kev13dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Looks like you didn't bother watching the press conference. They didn't say more transistors = better performence, they simply used the more transistors thing as a jumping off point to explain all the new things they could do with the RSX.
And it looks like you didn't read the original post; you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
right, and just because the Pentium4 had more transistors than the AthlonXP I guess the AXP just sucked too right?
And never in the original post did it say that the PS3 sucks because it has less transistors...

Sony may not have said it had better performance because it has more resistors, but you can bet your ass off they were hoping any GPU illiterate person was ganna assume that meant more power

You can shoot a person and go to prison for 40 years or less than 1 year. The law is all about intent. So is what Sony says. They may not come out and say it, but it's what they intend it to do

K
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-05, 01:15 PM   #17
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd
And it looks like you didn't read the original post; you said

And never in the original post did it say that the PS3 sucks because it has less transistors...

Sony may not have said it had better performance because it has more resistors, but you can bet your ass off they were hoping any GPU illiterate person was ganna assume that meant more power

You can shoot a person and go to prison for 40 years or less than 1 year. The law is all about intent. So is what Sony says. They may not come out and say it, but it's what they intend it to do

K
Vagrant didn't post that, I did

and ahhhh, my point is not to be a fanboi, or to advocate for one or the other...but to have a DISCUSSION about which is more powerful just because of transistor count....is about the STUPIDEST thing you could do.

If anyone wants to debate technical merit based on transistor count they belong in the gamespot or IGN forums. That way we can get into idiotic semantics like "Wel, teh PS3 = more powarful because it = silver!!!! fagorts seieng silvar gives teh PS3 more confidence in itself!!!! Plus, it has more ports, because it has more ports it must haev teh powar too handle al of them, so it's definiteley more powarful than teh Xbox360.".
Old 05-22-05, 01:48 PM   #18
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
"Wel, teh PS3 = more powarful because it = silver!!!! fagorts seieng silvar gives teh PS3 more confidence in itself!!!! Plus, it has more ports, because it has more ports it must haev teh powar too handle al of them, so it's definiteley more powarful than teh Xbox360.".
rofl
Old 05-23-05, 04:32 AM   #19
midnightgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InqWoN1776
i agree with kev on this.... The sony hype machine is up to it again.

yes I agree that it is, although now in some different ways than what they did to hype PS2. but also, more of the same, as well :>
midnightgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 04:35 AM   #20
midnightgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbtmagus
The article is complete BS... as for the power of the systems... I talked to the XDR guys at Rambus during E3 (bored Jakup in the process), They claim the PS3 has the edge even with the 360 having the EDRAM due to the PS3 having a dedicated bus for its GPU while the 360s GPU needs to share the bus with the CPU when accessing the RAM.

BTW Developers are also saying that the PS3 is easier to develop for then the 360...

ahh but the GPU has a dedicated bus to the eDRAM unit. this bus is 32 GB/sec read, and 16 GB/sec write from the eDRAM back to the GPU. 48 GB/sec total. on top of that, you have the inter or intra eDRAM bandwidth, which is incredibly high. 256 GB/sec or 2 Terabits/sec. the PS3 does not have an equivalent because it lacks eDRAM on its GPU.
midnightgamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-05, 08:52 AM   #21
InqWoN1776
Libertiné

Send a message via AIM to InqWoN1776 Send a message via MSN to InqWoN1776
Default Re: Xbox360's ATI Xenos GPU has more transistors (332M) than PS3's Nvidia RSX GPU (300M)

Midnight, the way i read it was that the x360 doesn't have embedded dram on the gpu either but rather on the "daughter die" of a two die graphics subsystem. More specifically, its located on the daughter die which is accessible by the gpu which is located on the parent die. That was just the way i understood it but i could be wrong.
Old 05-23-05, 10:56 AM   #22
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightgamer
ahh but the GPU has a dedicated bus to the eDRAM unit. this bus is 32 GB/sec read, and 16 GB/sec write from the eDRAM back to the GPU. 48 GB/sec total. on top of that, you have the inter or intra eDRAM bandwidth, which is incredibly high. 256 GB/sec or 2 Terabits/sec. the PS3 does not have an equivalent because it lacks eDRAM on its GPU.
The EDRAM is only useful for AA or AF, it can't be used for polgon drawing or textures since its way to small. This will help the system not take a performance hit when doing AA/AF but the system is still limited by the amount of textures and graphics data it can preform while doing all other aspects due to the shared bandwidth to the main memory.