Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-05, 07:06 PM   #1
Ruined

Default Sony scared?

This is turning out to be the greatest PR war of all time between Sony and MS for XBOX360/PS3 marketshare. Which is spectacular since I have both xbx/ps2 and plan to replace them both with x360/ps3, and because of the competition both will likely kick butt and have awesome games.

Anyway, check out the latest:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6126423.html

I've never seen Sony with that sort of tone, almost seems as if they are scared

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 07:13 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Sony scared?

For its first foray into the console world, Microsoft did a darn fine job with the Xbox (save for the first controllers). It wouldn't surprise me if Sony was concerned about the tricks Redmond has up its sleeve for the next-gen.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 07:27 PM   #3
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

I dont really see this article as being scared but more establishing it as more change from the last console, but basically, its what microsoft has been saying also.

Quote:
"Users will be able to store their content in an online storage server called the 'Cell Storage.' And the Cell processor, when it's not being used, can refine the content's quality. We call it the 'aging' process. For example, users can 'age' their Standard Definition (SD) video and up-convert it to High Definition (HD) video. We have many plans [for the PS3], but this 'Cell Storage' service is something that we definitely intend to launch. By using the Cell's security feature, users will be able to rip DVDs that include copyright protection and lay it in the storage area to refine its video quality."
sounds a bit iffy but interesting at the same time.

im glad they are allowing other formats than the memory sticks by putting in sd cards, which they should have done with the psp somehow.
Old 05-24-05, 07:35 PM   #4
evilchris

Sounds like total BS. You can't turn saved SD content into HD content, sorry. Upconverting simply means outputting a SD source at 1080 or 720, but it's not actual HD resolution. Any cable box does that.

Quote:
we call it aging
rofl, I think Sony thinks they're introducing HDTV to the masses and none of us have it nor know how it works yet to be spewing BS like that.

Quote:
the Cell (which is said to specialize in floating point calculations in comparison to normal CPUs) was created to 'generate,' or, in other words, to produce virtual objects and phenomenons inside the computer."
ROFLMFAO. Whoever is believing this crap deserves to be laughed at, heavily =)
Old 05-24-05, 08:14 PM   #5
Holy Smoke

My thoughts exactly, it sounds like they're just saving face (so to speak). They know their system's weaknesses, and now that they know the x360's strengths and how well it will compare to their own, they're adapting. The SD to HD comment is a dead giveaway. Calling it "aging" (thereby insinuating that it's like fine wine) even more so. At best, it could apply a few filters, but that's it.
Old 05-25-05, 09:05 AM   #6
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Quote:
"entertainment supercomputer"
Thats my favourite line. The Sony PR machine has just enteres superdrive

Quote:
The PS3 isn't designed to lean towards games.
Really. I wonder what people will be buying it for then. Muppets.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 09:45 AM   #7
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek2
Thats my favourite line. The Sony PR machine has just enteres superdrive

Really. I wonder what people will be buying it for then. Muppets.
- he said muppets.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 02:35 AM   #8
Treason
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 U

Talking Re: Sony scared?

Some quality PR bull here.
Treason is offline   Reply With Quote