Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-05, 08:27 PM   #13
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291
Default Re: PS3 to lack bundled harddrive at launch?

Lets face the facts. With Sony including some new and most likely very expensive hardware in the PS3 they have to find a way to cut cost anyway they can. By offering a hard drive for the PS3 as an option they can shave as much as $100-$200 off the price of the PS3. I believe that Microsoft will price the Xbox360 at a very aggressive price (I think I heard $299 at launch) so Sony has to keep the PS3's price as low as possible. My best guess is $399 for the PS3 with no hard drive and only one controller and $549 or $599 for some kind of bundle with 2 controllers, memory card and the hard drive option.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 08:51 PM   #14
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Why exactly would the hard drive cost $100-200??? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just asking where you got that value from. A 20GB Hard Disk costs probably less than 30 in UK (which is about $50) and thats retail. Surely a HDD would only cost them about an extra $30 to include.

Of course they could use a small HDD like the ones found in iPods but tbh I dont think many would be bothered about it being that portable. I mean if you can take it out, that would be enough.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-05, 09:57 PM   #15
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42
Why exactly would the hard drive cost $100-200??? I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just asking where you got that value from. A 20GB Hard Disk costs probably less than 30 in UK (which is about $50) and thats retail. Surely a HDD would only cost them about an extra $30 to include.

Of course they could use a small HDD like the ones found in iPods but tbh I dont think many would be bothered about it being that portable. I mean if you can take it out, that would be enough.
Almost every console sold takes a loss. Yes the HD may cost $30 but multiply that by 5 million and the loss is huge and you have to remember there already taking a loss.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:00 AM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

The hard drive on a console is VERY important IMO. If Sony prices the PS3 very high ($400 and up), they better have a HDD bundled with the mix. That would be ridiculous if they decided for some reason not to. I've found my XBOX with a HDD has come in handy for content download and music soundtracks.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:20 AM   #17
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
The only console I currently like is Xbox 1. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the X360 yet other than what Ruined has posted...

Microsoft hasn't said anything utterly lame like "phenomena inside the computer" or "age SD into HD" to get me going on them. =)
They paid people to clap for them at E3 and that doesn't get you going? Selective self-rightousness.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-05, 01:37 AM   #18
evilchris

Like I have said over and over again. I don't CARE what all the PR weenies do such as talking about sales numbers they dream of or paying people to clap. That has no effect on the console.

I CARE about pure BS about the hardware. Please quote me some concerning the X360.
Old 06-03-05, 12:13 PM   #19
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42

According to what I have read the PS3 will be using 2.5-inch hard drives. They are also going to be using some caddy type device that will allow the end user to easily remove the drive from one PS3 and connect it to another (similar to the Xbox360 design). The Xbox360 will include a 20GB drive. Knowing Sony their hard drive option will be of higher capacity. Even in bulk I don't see the hard drive option costing Sony $30 each, I believe it will be closer to $60 each. When all is said and done (manufacturing, packaging, shipping and handling) the drive probably sell for at least $100 or more.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote