Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-02, 05:58 PM   #1
malachi1313

Default Americas Army Sniper Patch OUT!!!!!!

Don't know if any of you guys play this game or not{I personally love it!!!} but the much awaited Sniper Patch is out. Goto www.bluesnews.com
malachi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 08:38 PM   #2
StealthHawk

have they released the dedicated server software? i'm sick of trying to join games and finding every server full. i have vowed not to touch the game until this issue is addressed.
Old 08-02-02, 08:31 PM   #3
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms

Where the hell can I get the game? I just want to plug it into Download Accelerator so I can spend a few nights getting it over my dialup. All I can find are these stupid gigex nightmare programs that download at 0.001 kbps.

Also is it internet multiplayer only? Can I play it on a LAN or with bots?
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 09:01 PM   #4
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

I am also a big fan of AA. My fav level is definitely Insurgent_Camp, followed by HQraid, then Pipeline. Sniper training was a bit brief and uninteresting, but at least now you can be a sniper in Insurgent_Camp. I think the netcode is awesome; the only time I seem to lag is when I walk in tight indoor places... don't know why. It also helps having the WEST Official servers a couple miles away. Sub-100 ping all the time... I'm loving it.

AA is an online only game, except for the training missions, which are dull anyway. I don't think they have bots planned for the final version either. But they do have LAN support planned. Use the NVIDIA site to get the game.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 03:45 PM   #5
Smokey
Team Rainbow

In the readme file they do say that the netcode isnt yet optimized and isnt advised for people on 56k modems, also I myself dont find the netcode very good. I get anywhere from 150-250 on the best servers to me, running the FPS counter I am getting around 30fps average. There isnt really any advanced settings for the video settings. I find shooting and frags to be a bit random at times. I still cant pass calapsed tunnel so I cant do sniper school yet

Im just waiting for RavenShield

Smokey
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 04:07 PM   #6
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

I like the game alot, but I still keep on getting disconnected from servers. I have anywhere from 0-100 ping and I get alot of lag still.
Old 08-03-02, 08:53 PM   #7
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

You don't need to pass any of the online missions to get sniper training. You do, however, need to get at least 36/40 targets on the rifle training. The netcode seems fine to me, but then again, I am on DSL and live close to the Official servers. Up to 120ping seems pretty playable to me, unlike some other games where anything above 80 is terrible. Maybe its just because of the slow speed of the gameplay.

I get about 25-30FPS outdoors @1600x1200, 2xAA, and 2x AF. Indoors is anywhere from 50-70.

I think there is a problem with the server program; sometimes the server resets randomly (for everyone). Also, scoring for teams is bugged, sometimes it says my team has been eliminated when most of them are in fact still alive. Then there's the occasional client-side error that misses some of the apparel for teammates, ie. backpacks. This makes it frustrating when you see someone without a pack on, and after emptying a clip into them, they curse at you for a TK.

I do really like the ROE system, but its not perfect. 400 ROE (Rules of Engagement) and that person is autokicked. Motivates people to be a little more careful with their nades. Speaking of which, sometimes those nades have insane radii. I don't know how my own nade can kill me from 30 yards away .

But overall, it's a very entertaining game and I think these issues will be resolved in the next patch.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 04:15 AM   #8
wysiwyg

the latest 1.1.1 patch resolved the server connection errors. connects all the time now.

AND

best of all you can connect in the game itself and search servers. so no need for gayspy anymore

great game
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-02, 04:44 AM   #9
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
In the readme file they do say that the netcode isnt yet optimized and isnt advised for people on 56k modems, also I myself dont find the netcode very good. I get anywhere from 150-250 on the best servers to me
lol, I play at 33k with pings of 350-700 and been having fun shootin and lootin. Sometimes have a little trouble moving though. Anyway, pretty good for unoptimised code.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 06:14 AM   #10
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg

lol, I play at 33k with pings of 350-700 and been having fun shootin and lootin. Sometimes have a little trouble moving though. Anyway, pretty good for unoptimised code.

goodness gracious me!!

350 - 700 ping. i assume your joking cos thats just insane and not worth it
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 07:42 AM   #11
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by wysiwyg

goodness gracious me!!
350 - 700 ping. i assume your joking cos thats just insane and not worth it
Not at all. I can play the game reasonably well, the only time I give up is if my own character warps so much that I can't walk properly. I think the generally slow pace of the game helps me to not have to rely on quick reactions.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote