Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-05, 11:18 PM   #1
Ruined

Default Steve Jobs Apple CEO rejects Cell: "less effective than PowerPC"

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8504/S...ell-Processor/

"In an editorial titled “What's Really Behind the Apple-Intel Alliance”, the New York Times has revealed that at one time Apple considered the Cell processor as an alternative to the existing PowerPC roadmap.

An executive close to Sony told the newspaper that Steve Jobs met in California with the CEO of Sony at that time, Nobuyuki Idei, and Ken Kutaragi, the so called “father of the PlayStation”.

Mr. Kutaragi tried to interest Mr. Jobs in adopting the Cell chip, which is being developed by I.B.M. for use in the coming PlayStation 3, in exchange for access to certain Sony technologies. Mr. Jobs rejected the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC."

Note that XBOX360's Xenon CPU is a custom tri-core Power PC chip.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 11:25 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Steve Jobs Apple CEO rejects Cell: "less effective than PowerPC"

Yeah and guess what he rejected Power PC also... He went Intel. Shows how smart Jobs is....
Old 06-13-05, 11:41 PM   #3
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Yeah and guess what he rejected Power PC also... He went Intel. Shows how smart Jobs is....
Pretty smart since Intel & AMD > PowerPC
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=4

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 11:48 PM   #4
|MaguS|

No AMD, Just Intel. As for being greater then PowerPC. Yes as a server but for Multitasking, the G5 is supperior. Why do you think Graphic Artists and Music Composers always went Mac?

Hell he even stated that he went Intel over IBM is because IBMs faster CPUs were generating too much heat. If that was a factor why not go AMD which provide better Performanc, are Cheaper and Cooler then Intel of the same price range?
Old 06-14-05, 12:01 AM   #5
ew2x4

I think the heat referrence was directed to the mobile line of products. Pentium M is a good CPU. That and AMD's small ammont of fabrication were possibly why they went Intel. That or sexual pleasures.
ew2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 12:29 AM   #6
Riptide

They had good reasons to go with Intel. They aren't the desktop powerhouse at the moment but they are respectable and they have the foundry capacity, mobile chip, and (possibly) roadmap that Jobs was interested in.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 12:53 AM   #7
Vagrant Zero
I'm a Back Door Man

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant Zero

And if I bought Mac products I might give Jobs the time of my day but I have yet to buy anything from the shiny white consortium.
Vagrant Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 01:26 AM   #8
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

As a general purpose CPU, I'm quite sure Cell sucks. It's an in-order, single issue design. Raw speed partially compensates this but on a "businness" benchmark like Winstone it would get stomped all over by other desktop CPU designs

I don't understand the hype about it. In the end, it's just a bunch of DSP-like processors packed together. D'oh! It may be more flexible (unlike dedicated DSPs) but that's all. It's not a Deus EX Machina as Sony wants us to believe

At any rate, Jobs has sold his ass to Intel. Plain and simple. I f he wanted to make a smart move, he should have gone in the OS market selling a MacOS "x86" version.
Entering an open market with a prorpietary design does not seems a smart move these days. I don't feel like paying a premium price for a nicely packed PC just to get a better OS than windows...