Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-02, 11:23 AM   #13
Mandarb1

I had a similar problem to this. But I was using GRUB. My ntloader didnt know where to boot anything. So I believe I used FDISK to set the active partition to my Windows partition and then in my boot.ini I gave an option to go into GRUB. After I did those two things everything worked. Im not sure how helpful this was but it might help. Im using SuSE 8.1 and GRUB 0.92-90. Maybe LILO messed up your master boot record and cant properly read which partition to boot first, but this is only speculation.
Mandarb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-02, 10:22 PM   #14
Walt Dizzy

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't figure out how to use Lilo with SuSE. So I copied a friend's Red Hat 8.0 disks and installed. I selected Lilo as my boot loader, and the boot failed, it printed "LI" on the screen and stopped. I checked several times, and it always failed at the same point.

I reinstalled RH using Grub as my bootloader, and got pretty much the same message as before, ending with:

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory.

I can use F5 and the "Linux Rescue" to boot my system, and I can change the root to the hard disk. In SuSE, I was able to boot from the install CD.

I have not been able to locate the boot log in Red Hat (maybe they call it by a different name?), so I uninstalled it. I plan to reinstall SuSE with Grub, and use the installer to boot into the hard disk, and check the boot log. Maybe I'll learn something there.

Thanks, Mandarb1. But at this point it doesn't seem like using the Windows bootloader to select Grub would fix anything. There does not seem to be any problem finding Grub. I'll think about it some more though.

Walt
Walt Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 10:21 AM   #15
Mandarb1

I googled a bit and went to the GRUB Manual (http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.92/...e2-errors.html) and found out a little more about what Error 28 means:

28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load command is either trying to load its data such that it won't fit into memory or it is simply too big.

Here are some possible solutions:

http://mm.ilug-bom.org.in/pipermail/...29/005620.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub.../msg06247.html

And I think it comes down to your motherboard and your BIOS.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/33391

And the solution:

"UPDATE: grub .93 (from CVS) solved the boot issue."

And to download the .93 GRUB, it can be found here:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/

If that doesnt work, maybe try flashing your BIOS to a newer release?
Mandarb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-02, 11:57 AM   #16
Walt Dizzy

Thanks for the links, they are most informative!

I tried to download GNU Grub 0.93 about a week ago, but the download link was broken. So I tried using LILO instead, and pretty much duplicated the results that the folks in the linuxquestions forum got: it did not work for me either.

It sounds like the nForce chipset is possibly the problem, and the updated Grub will be my next effort.

Walt
Old 01-02-03, 04:24 PM   #17
Walt Dizzy

If anyone is interested:

Grub 0.93 did fix my boot problem. I had to learn how to do a make from the .tar.gz file, but everything did what it was supposed to. After I figured out I needed to install the compiler!

I did not try flashing the bios, there were two later model bios at ASUS's web site, but the list of fixes did not include Linux boot problems.

Walt
Old 01-26-03, 03:29 PM   #18
AhBeeDoi

I've upgraded to 0.93 but I have the same problem with my A7N266-VM. LILO works but I prefer GRUB.
AhBeeDoi is offline   Reply With Quote