Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-02, 05:22 PM   #13
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

IE4 wasn't that good really IE5 was better. I've had no problems so far with IE6.
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 02:40 PM   #14
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
They look like the most compatible because web designers can sometimes fudge web pages to work with specific browsers. Check out this PNG Demo with IE and tell me what you see.
I see that IE doesn't support the PNG alpha channel, but there is a work around for that using a DirectX filter.

I learnt to code from the W3C specifications, there were always things that didn't work on either browser, but more often or not they worked on IE and not Mozilla or Netscape.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 01:09 PM   #15
styles-T
-========-

After reading this thread I dl'ed Mozilla and gotta say its definitely worth an install if you havnt tried it..The tabbed browsing is a hell of an idea..I just didnt like the netscape layout it uses..I downloaded a different theme (the one d1rx posted) and gotta say this might be a new IE for me..definitley worth a shot if you havnt tried it..
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 03:19 PM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Mozilla 1.1b is definitely improved over 1.0. I've had minimal rendering issues and stability has been top-notch. There are a few little things here and there, but I've found myself using Mozilla as my primary browser.

As far as themes go, I like the standard modern one. It's clean and efficient.

I do have a question, though. I couldn't find this in the options anywhere, but I want to know if there's a way to set up the browser where, when I clicked on links that they would open in a new tab instead of in a new window. Having to right-click on links can be a pain in the butt.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 03:59 PM   #17
Feanor

Quote:
They look like the most compatible because web designers can sometimes fudge web pages to work with specific browsers. Check out this PNG Demo with IE and tell me what you see.
Then again when many people use things like MS Front Page to design their sites...of course MS HTML authoring programs will favor their browser over a competitor...

In reality it seems one needs both browsers today due to what one can run into on various sites. There is one big complaint I have with Mozilla and Netscape 6.x (which I never had with Netscape 4.7x) but this is with Messenger. It comes down to saving one's store of email. Back it up, do a format and clean install, then reinstall the browser, one's email profile with all the former messages (all organized in folders they were previously in) is no longer there. In Netscape 4.7x it was, I consider this handling in the mail client to be a step backwards, and major reason I switched to OE.

Unlike the old time AOL users (of which I was never one) some of us do want to save our mail messages permanently or semi-permanently, and be free to completely wipe and reinstall our system (if needed) without any of this being lost accross new installs. Takes too much control over this out of the users hands for my own tastes
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-02, 10:38 PM   #18
styles-T
-========-

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Mozilla 1.1b is definitely improved over 1.0. I've had minimal rendering issues and stability has been top-notch. There are a few little things here and there, but I've found myself using Mozilla as my primary browser.

As far as themes go, I like the standard modern one. It's clean and efficient.

I do have a question, though. I couldn't find this in the options anywhere, but I want to know if there's a way to set up the browser where, when I clicked on links that they would open in a new tab instead of in a new window. Having to right-click on links can be a pain in the butt.
If you use your middle click mouse button on the url or link it will make a new tab in the same window? if thats what you mean?

try going to edit>preferences - everything you need is right there..
styles-T is offline   Reply With Quote