Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-05, 08:48 PM   #13
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Help With Asus V9980 Ultra

Okay, I don't know what the hell you all are talking about! I have used every driver, including beta, from 53.03 to 77.72. These latest drivers are the fastest and best looking for me. I don't use Coolbits, although I have in the past with no problems, but I do use NVTweak. It is pretty much the same thing. I've never messed with my BIOS on the card, don't even know how. As far as overclocking it, yes, if you use older drivers, your OC speeds will be less. I have mine at 560/1.04 and barely reach 50'C during game play. Anyways, my suggestion is make sure your MOTHERBOARD BIOS is up-to-date, uninstall any NVIDIA GRAPHICS DRIVERS and then install the 77.72 and use NVTWEAK. Using the 5x.xx or even 6x.xx series drivers at this point isn't a good idea. Oh, btw, if I let the card Auto-detect my OC, it usually comes back at about 512/1.02. I've just learned over the past year or so that I can get it up to my current OC with no problem. The rest of my system specs are in my Sig. Good luck.

If you think my OC's are high on this card, check this out...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...iew/page12.asp

Last edited by SLippe; 07-10-05 at 09:21 PM.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 06:27 AM   #14
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk97
What about playing Battlefield 2 with the ASUS V9980 Ultra? What are the best settings for my card under that game?
If you want to play multi on 64+ player server try;

Resolution: 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Details: Medium
Vsync: Off

That should give you pretty acceptable performance.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 04:39 PM   #15
Redeemed

Sorry, Grunt, didn't mean to upset or confuse you.

I've tried all the drivers, and on my card NONE offer better performance than versions 56.55 and 56.72. I've just downloaded the 77.72, and it KILLED my performance. In my Ancient Castle3D screensaver, I got 0.00 fps regardless of what my IQ and resolution was set at. The same resulted in any game I tried to play.

Mine is the "revised" 5950 Ultra evidently, as it looks NOTHING like yours (it is the one you see at ASUS' website). I'm going to see if your BIOS version matches mine. If not, that might be ONE reason why my oc's are so limited. I just set my vcard to 515Mhz core and 1GHz memory this morning. Any time I went to run a 3D application, it'd result in the BSOD and a restart.

Are you running your agp slot at 1.5 or 1.7volts? I had to up mine in order for the 515/1Ghz to work while being stable.

If I can't get this sorted out with this card, I'll probably just upgrade to a 6800GT. I can get one now for less than $300- not a bad buy at all.

One other thing...

I'm interested in the Stereoscopic abilities that the GeForce line offers. Currently, the only stereophonic drivers I can find are the 71.22 from nVidia's website. But they require that you use the same driver version (71.22) in order for the ability to work. If I can't find

1.)an earlier stereoscopic driver that will work with the Forceware versions 56.55 or 56.72

-or-

2.)a way to make my vcard work with the 71.22 ForceWare drivers without taking a massive performance hit

then I'll just end up getting a 6800GT as I KNOW that gpu will work with both the 71.22 ForceWare and Stereoscopic driver.

In regards to my earlier post, I asked if you ever saw any visual "anomalies" with your card clocked that high. I asked because I got a ton with mine: colors would be missing where they shouldn't be, entire textures would be gone (rocks in a game wouldn't be textured at all in other words, and objects that were normally one specific color with apropriate shading would either be a different solid color or not colored at all, etc). After seeing the oc you achieved without error, and then the oc that you linked to, I'm starting to dislike MY 5950Ultra because of all the problems it is giving me.

I appreciate your patience and thank you for your willingness to work with me. I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with my card and that I'm just going about this (overclocking and the newer drivers) the wrong way.

Thanks again
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 05:02 PM   #16
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Sorry, Grunt, didn't mean to upset or confuse you.

I've tried all the drivers, and on my card NONE offer better performance than versions 56.55 and 56.72. I've just downloaded the 77.72, and it KILLED my performance. In my Ancient Castle3D screensaver, I got 0.00 fps regardless of what my IQ and resolution was set at. The same resulted in any game I tried to play.

Mine is the "revised" 5950 Ultra evidently, as it looks NOTHING like yours (it is the one you see at ASUS' website). I'm going to see if your BIOS version matches mine. If not, that might be ONE reason why my oc's are so limited. I just set my vcard to 515Mhz core and 1GHz memory this morning. Any time I went to run a 3D application, it'd result in the BSOD and a restart.

Are you running your agp slot at 1.5 or 1.7volts? I had to up mine in order for the 515/1Ghz to work while being stable.

If I can't get this sorted out with this card, I'll probably just upgrade to a 6800GT. I can get one now for less than $300- not a bad buy at all.

One other thing...

I'm interested in the Stereoscopic abilities that the GeForce line offers. Currently, the only stereophonic drivers I can find are the 71.22 from nVidia's website. But they require that you use the same driver version (71.22) in order for the ability to work. If I can't find

1.)an earlier stereoscopic driver that will work with the Forceware versions 56.55 or 56.72

-or-

2.)a way to make my vcard work with the 71.22 ForceWare drivers without taking a massive performance hit

then I'll just end up getting a 6800GT as I KNOW that gpu will work with both the 71.22 ForceWare and Stereoscopic driver.

In regards to my earlier post, I asked if you ever saw any visual "anomalies" with your card clocked that high. I asked because I got a ton with mine: colors would be missing where they shouldn't be, entire textures would be gone (rocks in a game wouldn't be textured at all in other words, and objects that were normally one specific color with apropriate shading would either be a different solid color or not colored at all, etc). After seeing the oc you achieved without error, and then the oc that you linked to, I'm starting to dislike MY 5950Ultra because of all the problems it is giving me.

I appreciate your patience and thank you for your willingness to work with me. I'm sure that there is nothing wrong with my card and that I'm just going about this (overclocking and the newer drivers) the wrong way.

Thanks again
Whew, that is a lot. First, I'm not mad or upset or whatever. Just passionate. LOL

My AGP slot has always been set at 1.5v in my BIOS. I actually asked about upping this in a thread on NVNews not too long ago, but the majority said it didn't make any difference on their systems. So, I have never set it to anything else.

You wanna hear something crazy? I am not in any way able to get my card that high in that link. However, messing with it more today, I am now at 574/1.06. Running stable since and my temps are only one degree higher @ 37'/33' C. However! After running the usual 4 benchmarks below, I gained points in 3 of them and lost in the other. I'm leaving it with the OC for now, and we'll see how my games perform. I'm not sure why you aren't able to overclock any better than that, but I wasn't able to either on older drivers.

Some factors that may or may not make a difference in performance. I have Fastwrites ENABLED in my BIOS (can't tell any difference with them disabled). I have all options that involve BIOS Caching and Shadowing DISABLED. I'm using my BIOS High Performance settings with the exception of setting the Memory Ration to 1:1 manually.

Yes, you have to use the same video driver as you have stereo driver, or at least that is the way I've always understood it. There should be an Archive of the older Stereo drivers on NVidia's website, I would think. I mean, they have the video drivers that way. I haven't looked, sorry.

Oh, another thing is referring to that link, is that they are using the 5950U like yours and not the bigger eVGA one that looks like my ASUS card. Weird. Let me know what you find out and keep in touch. We'll get ya goin' sooner or later!

SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 07:17 PM   #17
Redeemed

Okay, thanks. I'll keep toying with it and see what happens. I've heard of other people getting oc's higher than mine, and just better performance overall than what I get with my 5950. I do doubt that it's the card, probably just something on my end.

Thanks for being willing to assist, do appreciate it. I'll mess around with it some more and see what happens.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote