Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-05, 03:56 PM   #1
Kasabian

Default Screen Turns Multicoloured and Unreadable When SuSE 9.3 Shuts Down

Hello there. I know that this have been asked a million times before but I've searched the internet high and low but havn't found any solution to this. About two months ago I bought a GeForce FX 5500 card for my SuSE 9.3 box but have had no luck with it. When ever I shutdown or do a Ctrl+Alt+Fx the screen displays a whole load of multicoloured bars and everything becomes totally unreadable. Apart from that the driver works fine and I get lovely 3D support.

This has occured in every distro I have tried. I'm really getting desperate. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I am comfortable manually editing files / using the terminal if it makes a difference. Also, I am manually installing the official drivers as the YOU installation doesn't work for me.

Thanks in advance.
Kasabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 03:06 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Screen Turns Multicoloured and Unreadable When SuSE 9.3 Shuts Down

Can you post an nvidia-bug-report.log for review? Also what kind of motherboard do you have?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 03:45 PM   #3
AWK

Default Re: Screen Turns Multicoloured and Unreadable When SuSE 9.3 Shuts Down

Popular problem. I solved it on my system by adding vga=775 in kernel options (in menu.lst, using Grub bootloader) to drop the colour depth down to 8 bit in 1280x1024 in framebuffer console. When I had the color depth higher in the console (eg. vga=791) I had this problem. "vga=" setting could depend on what resolution you're using in X, check available tables. Another solution is to not use frambuffer at all, remove "vga=x". I additionally only had this problem when I started X with the TV connected to my FX 5200 card.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote