Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-05, 04:35 AM   #1
ostiffel

Default please post your dual-dvi success stories

I am starting to believe that very few dual-dvi combinations actually work with nvidia under linux. I have tried a large number of combinations on a few different computers. Most of them have not worked, and the ones that do work are extremely brittle.

If you have managed to get 2 dvi screens working, please post your configuration. I would like to build one that is known to work instead of wasting all my time on trial and error.

Hopefully it involves commodity components (easy availability from mainstream vendors).
ostiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 11:03 AM   #2
ckc76

Default Re: please post your dual-dvi success stories

My dual DVI setup is working perfectly: twinview / xinerama, framebuffer on console. My card is a 6800 GTO (from Dell), my system is a Dell Dimension 5000 (should be the same as the 5100 they sell now). The system was first shipped with a standard 6800 (1xDVI,1,VGA) but Dell replaced the card with the GTO version (as the system was advertised as a dual-DVI system; the GTO version normaly goes with some XPS systems from Dell. So DONT by this System if you want a dual DVI-setup even if it is still advertised as this; it was REALY hard work to make the support sent me the GTO version as replacement )
I use SUSE 9.3 but had to build the driver myself, the one packaged by SUSE didn't work (maybe bacause I upgraded to another kernel, I don't know, I don't care... Got the "black screen but mouse-cursor" thing)
anyway, here are my configs, one for twinview, one for xinerama; both working perfectly, I personally prefer the xinerama version because of the individual gammacorrection for each monitor.
I wonder why this shouldn't work with any other 6800er card.... Maybe you can give some more infos.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.twinview.txt (5.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.xinerama.calibrated_2.2.txt (6.3 KB, 227 views)
ckc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 05:30 PM   #3
richnv

ckc76,

In Twinview do you need to fake the monitor DisplaySize as 680 270 (instead
of 340 270)? I find that if I don't do that acroread and totem don't work - they
squash the image flat.

BTW I'm using

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500"
Option "TwinView" "on"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-82"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "56-76"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Viewsonic"
ModelName "VP171b"
DisplaySize 680 270
Option "dpms"
EndSection
richnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-05, 03:55 AM   #4
ckc76

@ richnv
Yes, in Adobe Reader the documents got streched twice as wide in twinview. But I could correct tis in the preferences of the Adobe Reader: I set Page Display - Resolution from "use system setting" to "custom resolution" and 72 Pixel/Inch. I guess the way you disribed is cleaner, but since alle other programs I use (don't use totem) have no problem at all, this worked well enough for me so far. But I will try the changes in the the twinvie config to see if this will mak i.e. Adobe Reader run correctly out of the box.
Thanks for the info.
ckc76 is offline   Reply With Quote